We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANSAWEL (LLAN-SAWEL), a parish, in the union of LLANDILO-VAWR, lower division of the hundred of CAYO, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 11 miles (N.) from Llandilo-Vawr, on the road to Lampeter; comprising the hamlets of Edwinsford with Glynn, and Wen with Genol, containing 982 inhabitants. This parish is pleasantly situated on the small river Cothy, and is intersected by a tributary of that stream, which falls into it near the village; over each is a neat bridge. The lands are for the greater part inclosed and in a state of good cultivation; the surrounding scenery is pleasantly diversified with wood and water . . . Edwinsford, called in Welsh "Rhyd Odyn," the seat of the family of Williams, whose ancestors have represented the county in parliament for several ages, and now the seat of Sir James Hamlyn Williams, Bart., is in the parish, beautifully situated on the eastern bank of the river Cothy . . . The living is a vicarage, annexed to that of Cayo . . . There is a place of worship for Methodists: about 30 children are instructed in a day school . . . and 70 males and 35 females are taught gratuitously on Sunday by Calvinistic Methodists . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Evans, J. Blodeuglwm i goffa y Parch. Jonah Evans: athro Ysgol Ramadegol, Llansawel, Liverpool, Evans, T. Eli (1907) vii, 153 p., plate; p. [Evans, Jonah, 1836-1896]

Monumental inscriptions for St Sawyl's Church, Llansawel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llansawel Parish Church, Hamlet of Genol               Benj. Mensden, Minister, Pumpsaint
  • Llansawel chapel     CM       Erected before 1800       James Davies, Deacon, Troesgotta, Nr Llandilo

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Sawel

Parish entry for Conwil Caio with Llansawel from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Cynwyl
  • &
  • St Sawyl (Llansawel)
  • Incumbent and Curates; Daniel Thomas
  • Rural Deanery of  Llangadock
  • Acreage 26,187 & 10,250 ; Population 1,866

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1751-1979), Marriages (1751-1970), Banns (1823-1919) and Burials (1751-1980) are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies [except Banns} at Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675-9, 1682, 1693-5, 1702, 1705, 1707, 1724, 1726-9, 1731, 1733-7, 1739, 1741-4, 1746-7, 1749-54, 1756-60, 1762-5, 1767-88, 1790, 1792-4, 1796-1800, 1802-12, 1814-35, 1838-40, 1849, 1855-7) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 20 - Cayo Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Bethel Chapel (Calvinistic Methodist, c1740), Llansawel village                 Births and baptisms (1818-36) PRO RG4/3831, LDS 828108, IGI        On Dyfed FHS          Bethel Llansawel CM chapel - still open in 2006
  • Siloh / Seilo (Independent, 1868), Llansawel village        SN61753620   Built 1868/9    Still open 1998        Coflein                 On Dyfed FHS                     Ind chapel. Llansawel shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llansawel which are provided by:

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 10017 acres; Population 535 males, 516 females, total 1051

Places, villages, farms etc within Llansawel parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Llansawel (89); Abergorlech (village); Acheth; Afon Marlais; Afon Melynddwr; Allt-Tan-y-coed; Banc; Banc Beili-Tew; Beili-Ficer; Benoeth; Blaen-cwm; Blaen-gofiarth; Bryniau; Castell; Cil-fawr; Cilwenau; Cwm-coed-Ifor; Cwm-cwta; Cwm-Hywel; Cwm-Eifion-fawr; Edwinsford; Esgair; Esgair-wen; Froodvale Fm.; Glan-yr-Anell Park; Lan Ddu Cilwenau;  Llansawel (village); Llywelau; Moelfre; Mynydd Cynros; Pant-iauau; Pen-y-Ddinas; Pen-y-rhiw-fawr; Pengelli; Pistyll-gwyn; Pwll-cymbyd; Rhyd-cymmerau; Rhyglin; Tan-y-lan; Trawsgoed; Tre-glog; Ynys-dywyll


Carmarthenshire Families

Brown, R.L. The followers of Jeroboam, the son of Nebat (who made Israel to sin): a study of the clerical members of the Davies-Williams family of Llansawel, Dyfed, Tongwynlais ([The Vicarage, 1 Merthyr Rd., Tongwynlais, Cardiff, CF4 7LE]), [R.L. Brown] (1983) iv, 58 p., [1] leaf of plates, 2 geneal. tables, 3 ports. [Davies (Family) & Williams (Family), 1800-1930]

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llansawel has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Price, F.S. History of Llansawel, Carmarthenshire, Swansea: The Author: printed by B. Trerise, (1898) 54 p. Here is a substantial extract from this book

Williams, D. J. The Old Farmhouse/Hen Dy Ffarm. trans. from Welsh by Waldo Williams. 1961 (Harrap). 238pp. well-known account of farming life in the Carmarthenshire parishes of Llansawel, Caio, Pencarreg and Llanybydder at turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Also a  parallel-text Welsh/English version published by Gomer, Llandysul, 2001/2, (1 84323 032 1). "Since it was first published in 1953 Hen Dy Ffarm has become a classic of Welsh literature......."

Land and Property

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

  • Records of the estate of the family of Williams, later Williams-Drummond, of Rhydodyn, otherwise Edwinsford, Carmarthenshire, including deeds, 1472-1811, records of the manor of Talley, 1617-1744, correspondence, 1580-1863. Other records at Carmarthen Archives.


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN618363 (Lat/Lon: 52.007843, -4.014954), Llansawel which are provided by:

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llansawel Parish Council Records  1852-1901  


[Gareth Hicks : 23 Dec 2012]