"LLANWINIO (LLAN-WYNO), a parish, comprising the Eastern and Western divisions, in the lower division of the hundred of DERLLYS, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 13 miles (W.N.W.) from Carmarthen; containing 1035 inhabitants, of which number 422 are in the Eastern, and 613 in the Western, division. This parish . . . is situated near the western extremity of the county, on the border of Pembrokeshire, and comprises a large tract of lamd, the greater portion inclosed and cultivated; it is watered by the small river Avon Gynin. The surrounding country is finely diversified, and the distant views comprehend some fine combinations of mountain scenery and richly luxuriant pasture lands in the vicinity; the soil is fertile, and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture and in the feeding of numerous flocks of sheep. The village is pleasantly situated: an annual fair for sheep is held on the 12th of November. . . The church, dedicated to St. Gwyno, stands near the right bank of the Avon Gynin river; and there are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists, and for another congregation, assuming no other denomination than that of Dissenters. From 70 to 100 children, varying according to the season of the year, are instructed in two day schools at the expense of their parents; and there are three Sunday schools, in which about 250 males and females are taught gratuitously; all the schools appertain to dissenters." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Gwynno's Church
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan Ynio
Parish entry for Llanwinio and Eglwys Fair-a-Churig from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
Evans, Nansi. Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Ramoth, Cwmfelin Mynach, 1795-1995. Cwmfelin Mynach: Ramoth, 1995. 16p: ill, ports; 21cm.
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
PR (1729-66?) recorded in 1831 apparently lost
Parish registers: Christenings (1767-1991), Marriages (1767-1967), Banns (1824-75) and Burials (1767-1910) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.
Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1754-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1672, 1678, 1681-8, 1691, 1694, 1696-9, 1702, 1707-8, 1711, 1715-18, 1720, 1724-48, 1751-72, 1774-81, 1784-90, 1792-8, 1802-8, 1810-58, 1860-77) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1754-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 14 - Derllys Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanwinio as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)
Llanwinio - on the Cistercian Way site
Xavier, Dilys. Divine Ancestor a Buccaneer ? [Rev.William Williams 1857+ Waunfawr, Llanwinio] Dyfed FHS journal Vol 6/5 Dec 1998, p 188-190.
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish.
- The History of the Church in the County/Puritan Domination; A period of Depression; In 1672, Llanwinio church is listed in a long list of Carmarthenshire churches where "everything was out of repair" in the aftermath of the confusion of the previous 20 years.
- The Age of the Native Princes/ The Early Church/Rise of the Kingdom of Deheubarth ; "No vestige remains of any ecclesiastical building erected during this period (400-1282)......the abundance of wood led to the neglect of the use of stone for this purpose............but stone was used.......setting up memorials to the dead...........these are found in association with many sacred sites in Carmarthenshire........indicate places of Christian interment as early as the sixth century............... Ogam inscriptions have come to light at Llanwinio etc......"
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/ Human Settlement and Economy in the Early Iron Age/Fortresses utilising promontories etc; includes Pen-y-castell, Llanwinio and Castell Mawr , Llanwinio.
- Prehistoric and Roman Times/Carmarthenshire in the New Stone Age/Standing Stones; list includes 'Near Pantymaen Farm, Llanwinio'
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks: 20 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date