Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llanybydder

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llanybydder

"LLANYBYTHER (LLAN-Y-BYDDAR), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHYNOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (S.W.) from Lampeter; comprising the northern and southern divisions, and containing 1120 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Lampeter-Pont-Stephen to Carmarthen, and on the border of the county . . . The parish is extensive, comprising nearly ten thousand acres, of which about two thousand are uninclosed, and containing a great variety of soil and surface . . . the prevailing kinds of timber are fir and young oak, and the chief agricultural produce oats and barley. . . The village of Llanybyther is situated on the banks of the river Teivy . . . the parish also contains the village of Glanduar and that of Abergorlech . . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has recently undergone thorough repair . . . There is also a chapel at Abergorlech . . . There are two places of worship for Independents, and one each for Baptists and Methodists. About 55 children of both sexes are instructed at the expense of their parents, in two day schools, one of which has a lending library attached, furnished by the Hon. Mrs. Evans. There are also four Sunday schools, one of which consisting of 105 males and females, appertains to Baptists . . . two others are connected with Independents, and one with Calvinistic Methodists, and together contain 250 males and females . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Biography

Morris, James (Rev). Cofiant Dafi Dafis Rhydcymerau (Biography of Dafi Dafis). Dolgellau, 1898, 2nd ed. Here is an index and contents listing by Gareth Hicks.

Cemeteries

Monumental inscriptions for Rhydcymerau Methodist Chapel, and for Rhydybont Independent Chapel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Census

A bound copy of the 1841 census return for this parish is available at Carmarthen Reference Library. It was produced by pupils of Lampeter Comprehensive School as part of the Lampeter and District Census Project 1987.

Church History

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • St Peter's Llanybyther Parish Church Hugh Felix, Vicar
  • Rhydybont Ind David Lewis, Deacon
  • Aberduar Baptist Erected before 1800 John Williams, Minister
  • Rhydcymere CM Erected in 1847 John Williams, Deacon

Parish entry for Llanybydder and Llanwenog from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books).

  • St Peter & St Gwenog (Llanwenog)
  • Incumbent and Curates; D A Jenkins
  • Rural Deanery of Lampeter
  • Acreage --- & 10,723 ; Population 1,055 & 1,368

    Abergorlech was an ancient chapelry in this parish, whose records prior to 1813 were included in Llanybydder's PRs. Its baptisms, for 1813-71, are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

    Davies, W.H. Hanes Eglwys Aberduar (History of Aberduar Church), Llandysul, J.D. Lewis and Sons, Gomer Press (1962). [LDS GS 924498]. Here is an Index and list of chapter headings by Gareth Hicks

    Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan y Bydder

    Church Records

    Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

    Parish registers: Christenings (1783-1972). Marriages (1754-1994) and Burials (1783-1984) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

    Copy ts PR index C (1813-75) M (1754-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

    Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1679, 1694, 1696, 1699, 1705, 1711, 1719-21, 1723, 1728-34, 1737, 1739, 1741, 1743-4, 1748-50, 1752-5, 1757, 1761, 1763, 1767, 1770, 1772-3, 1789-90, 1793-1800, 1802-44, 1847-9, 1851, 1854-6, 1880, 1892) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

    Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

    See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

    Nonconformist Chapels:

    • Aberduar (Baptist, bef 1761), Aberduar Register (1751-1857) NLW Ms 610, LDS 829076/4 and 829066/5; copy of register (1751-1857) NLW Ms 10785C. See Not everyone knows this.. for a list of ministers and members in 1751 and sundry baptisms in 1761/2 and 1775. SN52604385 Built 1761 & rebuilt 1834/5, refurbished 1881 & enlarged 1891 Still open 1999 Coflein On Dyfed FHS
    • Rhydycymerau (Calvinistic Methodist, bef 1813), Rhydcymerau On Dyfed FHS Rhydcymerau CM chapel - still open in 2006
    • Rhydybont (Independent, bef 1715?), Rhydybont Baptisms (1775-1825) PRO RG4/3826 and RG4/4021, LDS 828113, IGI On Dyfed FHS Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
      Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
    • Nenog Ind chapel, Llidiad nenog SN54653740 Built 1869, refurbished 1893 Coflein On Dyfed FHS Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

    Held at Carmarthen Archives;

    • Memorial Inscriptions for Rhydybont Independent and Rhydcymerau Methodist chapels.

    Description and Travel

    The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

    • Area 10031 acres; Population 520 males, 603 females, total 1124

    Places, villages, farms etc within Llanybydder as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

    • Llanybydder (6); Abergorlech (village); Afon Duar; Allt Llwyn-crwn; Allt Tan-coed-cochion; Banc; Banc Du; Banc Gareg-winiai?; Banc Melyn; Blaen-bydernyn; Blaen-cwm; Blaen-Gorlech; Bryn Cothi; Bryn-llo; Caer-malwas; Capel Iago; Cloth factory; Crugiau Edryd; Cwm Hust; Disgwylfa; Esgair-onen-fach; Esgair-onen-fawr; Gelli; Glan Duar; Glan Tren; Gors-goch; Hafodrwynos; Henfaes; Llainlas; Llanybyther (village)Lletty-llwyn-chwith; Llidiad Nenog; Llwyn-fedw; Mynydd Llanybyther; Mynydd Pencarreg; Nant Hust; Nant Llwyd; Nant-y- ? wd; Pant-glas; Pen-y-gaer; Pwll-cymbyd; Rhiw; Rhyd-cymmerau; Sanatorium; Tir-bach; Waun-gron; Wernnant
      You can see pictures of Llanybydder which are provided by:

      Genealogy

      Carmarthenshire Families

      Rawlins, Jose. Lawyers Talk of Titles and Descents [David John Edwards/Black Lion Hotel, Llanybydder 1890+]. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 6/4 Dec 1998, p 149-153

      Rawlins, Jose Parry. Jacki'r Gweydd (John Thomas, weaver). Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 8/9 Aug 2005

      Historical Geography

      You can see the administrative areas in which Llanybydder has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

      Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanybydder to another place.

      History

      Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

      Williams, D. J. The Old Farmhouse/Hen Dy Ffarm. trans. from Welsh by Waldo Williams. 1961 (Harrap). 238pp. well-known account of farming life in the Carmarthenshire parishes of Llansawel, Caio, Pencarreg and Llanybydder at turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Also a parallel-text Welsh/English version published by Gomer, Llandysul, 2001/2, (1 84323 032 1). "Since it was first published in 1953 Hen Dy Ffarm has become a classic of Welsh literature......."

      Land and Property

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llandeilo and Llanybydder title deeds 1733-1888

      Maps

      You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN522440 (Lat/Lon: 52.074549, -4.158049), Llanybydder which are provided by:

      Newspapers

      Clychau'r Cwm: the parish newspaper of Brechfa, Abergorlech & Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn. is published by Patrick Thomas, of Brechva.

      Public Records

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Llanybydder Parish Council Records 1871-1979
      • Llanybydder Rural District Council Records 1904-1935
      • D. Lloyd and Son (Solicitors) Records "Records of Lloyd and Son, solicitors, 1853-1930.... [including Lampeter and Llanybydder Rural District Councils, 1895-1922......"

      Schools

      Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

      • Evacuees' Records "Log book of children evacuated from Swansea to Aberduar Vestry School, Llanybydder, Carmarthenshire, 1941........................"