GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents



"LLANYBYTHER (LLAN-Y-BYDDAR), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHYNOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (S.W.) from Lampeter; comprising the northern and southern divisions, and containing 1120 inhabitants. This place is situated on the road from Lampeter-Pont-Stephen to Carmarthen, and on the border of the county . . . The parish is extensive, comprising nearly ten thousand acres, of which about two thousand are uninclosed, and containing a great variety of soil and surface . . . the prevailing kinds of timber are fir and young oak, and the chief agricultural produce oats and barley. . . The village of Llanybyther is situated on the banks of the river Teivy . . . the parish also contains the village of Glanduar and that of Abergorlech . . . The church, dedicated to St. Peter, has recently undergone thorough repair . . . There is also a chapel at Abergorlech . . . There are two places of worship for Independents, and one each for Baptists and Methodists. About 55 children of both sexes are instructed at the expense of their parents, in two day schools, one of which has a lending library attached, furnished by the Hon. Mrs. Evans. There are also four Sunday schools, one of which consisting of 105 males and females, appertains to Baptists . . . two others are connected with Independents, and one with Calvinistic Methodists, and together contain 250 males and females . . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]


Morris, James (Rev). Cofiant Dafi Dafis Rhydcymerau (Biography of Dafi Dafis). Dolgellau, 1898, 2nd ed. Here is an index and contents listing by Gareth Hicks.


Monumental inscriptions for Rhydcymerau Methodist Chapel, and for Rhydybont Independent Chapel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.


A bound copy of the 1841 census return for this parish is available at Carmarthen Reference Library. It was produced by pupils of Lampeter Comprehensive School as part of the Lampeter and District Census Project 1987.

Church History

LLANYBYTHER, St. Peter   1829-1830     - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants


Parish entry for Llanybydder and Llanwenog from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

Abergorlech was an ancient chapelry in this parish, whose records prior to 1813 were included in Llanybydder's PRs. Its baptisms, for 1813-71, are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.


Davies, W.H. Hanes Eglwys Aberduar (History of Aberduar Church), Llandysul, J.D. Lewis and Sons, Gomer Press (1962). [LDS  GS 924498]. Here is an Index and list of chapter headings by Gareth Hicks

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Llan y Bydder

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1783-1972). Marriages (1754-1994) and Burials (1783-1984) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR index C (1813-75) M (1754-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1679, 1694, 1696, 1699, 1705, 1711, 1719-21, 1723, 1728-34, 1737, 1739, 1741, 1743-4, 1748-50, 1752-5, 1757, 1761, 1763, 1767, 1770, 1772-3, 1789-90, 1793-1800, 1802-44, 1847-9, 1851, 1854-6, 1880, 1892) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Held at Carmarthen Archives;

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanybydder  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)


Carmarthenshire Families


Rawlins, Jose. Lawyers Talk of Titles and Descents [David John Edwards/Black Lion Hotel, Llanybydder 1890+]. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 6/4 Dec 1998, p 149-153

Rawlins, Jose Parry. Jacki'r Gweydd (John Thomas, weaver). Dyfed FHS journal, Vol 8/9 Aug 2005


Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Williams, D. J. The Old Farmhouse/Hen Dy Ffarm. trans. from Welsh by Waldo Williams. 1961 (Harrap). 238pp. well-known account of farming life in the Carmarthenshire parishes of Llansawel, Caio, Pencarreg and Llanybydder at turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Also a  parallel-text Welsh/English version published by Gomer, Llandysul, 2001/2, (1 84323 032 1). "Since it was first published in 1953 Hen Dy Ffarm has become a classic of Welsh literature......."

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;



Clychau'r Cwm: the parish newspaper of Brechfa, Abergorlech & Llanfihangel Rhos-y-corn. is published by Patrick Thomas, of Brechva.

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;


Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 17 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.