We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Pembrey

"PEN-BREY, otherwise PEMBREY (PEN-BRE), a parish in the hundred of KIDWELLY, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 5 miles (S.S.E.) from Kidwelly, contains 2645 inhabitants . . . The name of this place, signifying literally the head of a hill or promontory, is derived from its situation at the extremity of a mountainous ridge, beyond which a low promontory extends into the bay of Carmarthen. . . The substrata abound with mineral wealth, this district being thought to be the richest in South Wales in both bituminous and hard coal, both being worked to a very great extent. The quality of the soft coal is peculiarly adapted to the production of gas, the working of iron, and other manufacturing purposes; and vast quantities of both sorts are exported to various parts of the kingdom. . . a capacious harbour was constructed in 1819. . . This part of the coast is of difficult navigation, and to sailors unacquainted of it the most fatal on the shores of the Bristol Channel." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1833).]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Glanrhyd Farm, Pembrey  Records     "Records, c. 1945-1970, relating to Glanrhyd Farm and Pembrey Airfield, including correspondence; accounts; schedules; and Pembrey Airfield sales particulars, 1964."   
  • Records of The Stores, Pembrey         1854-1959        "The Stores, 5 Randall Square, Pembrey, Carmarthenshie, was in existence by the 1880s and active into the 1980s......."

Church History

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Mary's Church, Burry Port

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Llanddury, Llandury               Bryn Williams   [no indication of status, presumably a church - under Pembrey below there is a reference to a commodius chapel of ease at Llandury Hamlet]
  • St Mary        [no indication of status, presumably a church]       John Thomas
  • Pembrey        Erected two or three hundred years       [a discharged vicarage with Llandury]        Benj. Williams
  • Gusgam   Baptist                 Erected in 1839                 David Rogers, Deacon in Chapel, Achildu Ucha Farm
  • Ebenezer    WM                  Erected in 1832            Alexander Davis, Chapel Steward, Red Lion, Pembrey
  • Bethel   CM                     Erected in 1812                   John Williams, Steward,   [?] Tarvincanal, Pembrey
  • Jerusalem        Independent Dissenters           Erected in 1812                Henry Edmunds, Deacon
  • Sardis   Ind                      Erected in 1831       David Jones, Minister
  • Rehoboth, Penbre    Ind                Erected in 1827       Henry Evans, Minister, Rehoboth, Pembrey
  • Bethlehem, Pool Bembrey         Baptist Particular         Erected in 1835    Daniel Ungoed, Deacon, Pool Pembrey
  • Carmel   Independent Dissenters           Erected in 1827         John Williams, Deacon. Pantachddy

Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Illtyd
  • &
  • Llandyry Chapel of Ease
  • &
  • St Mary, Burry Port
  • &
  • Holy Trinity, Pwll
  • Incumbent and Curates; D J Morgan (J B Thomas, D Harries, W D Morgan, E Thomas)
  • Rural Deanery of  Kidwelly
  • Acreage 15,817; Population  11,351

Hughes, John Llewelyn. Hanes Capel Clement a Rehoboth ger Llanelli, yn nghyda chryn lawer o hanes Jerusalem, Carmel a Seion, Penbre, hefyd crynhodeb o hanes y Parchn Thomas Clement, David Davies, Rehoboth; Evan Davies, Carmel, Henry Evans, Burry Port, ac ereill (Llandeilo, 1907), 52p.

Jones, Herman. Hanes eglwys Annibynnol Jerusalem, Burry Port, 1812-1962 (Llanelli, 1962), 80p.

Nicholson, John A. Pembrey's Welsh Wesleyanism: Ebenezer, 1833-1858, Hermon 1858. [Pembrey]: John A. Nicholson, 1989. 46p: ill, maps; 22cm.

Nicholson, John A. St. Illtyd's Church, Pembrey: a brief history and guide. Pembrey: St. Illtyd's Church, [1989] [7]p: plans; 21cm.

Roberts, E. and Pertwee, H.A. St. Illtyd's Church, Pembrey: its history and its architecture, Swansea, C. E. Willing (1898).

Williams, Wyndham H. Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru Bethel Penbre: hanes yr eglwys. [Penbre]: [Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru, Bethel Penbre], [1977] 55p: ill, ports; 22cm.

Williams, W. Braslun o Hanes Bethlehem, Pwll, Llanelli [ A Brief History of Bethlehem, Pool, Llanelli].Llanelli, 1934 [LDS GS 942.95/L1 K2b]. The translation by Ivor Griffiths is available for purchase, see Gareth's Help Page

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1700-1958) and Llandyry (1904-57), Marriages (1700-1964), Banns (1823-1973) and Burials (1700-1965)  and Llandyry (1904-86) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Copy ts PR C (1701-71) M (1701-54) B (1701-71) and ts PR index C (1772-1833) M (1700-1894) B (1800-1900) at Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1716, 1718, 1721-2, 1724-5, 1727, 1743-74, 1776-1800, 1802-83) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 19 - Carnwallon Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

An index to Baptisms, Marriages and Burials 1701-1771  is available on microfiche from DFHS

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Burry Port/Porthtywyn [formed out of Pembrey]
Christenings (1903-79) Pwll (1904-76) Marriages (1902-76) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Tabernacle (Baptist, c1834/39), Ashburnham Rd, Burry Port               SN4435100731      Built 1856, enlarged 1865, completely renovated 1901     Still open 1998      Coflein
  • Elkington Rd English Baptist chapel, Burry Port      SN4443101083   Opened 1897,corner of Stepney & Pencoed Roads, timber & zinc-sheeted;  new chapel built 1913    Still open 1998 Coflein
  • Stepney Rd English Baptist chapel, Burry Port       See above           SN4000    Opened in 1897?, a zinc-sheeted chapel,  vacated 1913 for the new Elkington Road English Baptist Church        Coflein
  • Bethlehem (Baptist, c1794), Pwll                Records bef 1834 with those of Adulam, Llanelli          SN47370107   Built 1834/5, present chapel dates from 1874/5, possibly enlargement of 1830s chapel;     Still open 1998     Coflein                     On Dyfed FHS  
  • Salem Baptist Sunday school, Pwll               SN48450093    Built 1905   Coflein
  • Noddfa Welsh Baptist chapel, Heol Waun-y-clyn, Trimsaran                 SN45140449        Formed 1879     Still open 1998    Coflein
  • Bethany Welsh CM chapel, New St, Burry Port                SN4509100884   Built 1861; rebuilt/enlarged 1896.   Still open 2000   Coflein
  • Bethel (Calvinistic Methodist, 1800), Ciwscwm Rd, Pembrey village               Births and baptisms (1818-37) PRO RG4/3831, LDS 828108, IGI.             On Dyfed FHS             Bethel Gwscwm Road, Penbre  CM chapel is still open in 2006
  • Free Presbyterian (CM)church, Springfield Terrace, Burry Port                  SN4457200842    Opened 1994   Still open 1998          Coflein
  • Tabernacle (Calvinistic Methodist, 1872), Heol Llanelli, Trimsaran           SN45080485   Built 1873 / 1876, enlarged 1980     Coflein                 Tabernacle, Heol Morlais, Trimsaran CM chapel still open in 2006
  •  
  • Seion  Welsh Independent, Parc-y-Minos, Burry Port              SN4469500812  Built 1873?, opened 1875    Coflein               Seion Ind chapel, Burry Port shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • English Congregational chapel (Independent, bef 1871), Parc-y-Minos St, Burry Port          SN4465400873    Built 1870, assisted financially by Jerwsalem Chapel & by Park Chapel, Llanell   Still open 1995  Coflein
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.   Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Jan 2009)
  • Jerusalem (Independent, bet 1725-40), Colby Rd, Burry Port           Births and baptisms (1814-37) PRO RG4/2517, LDS 815972, IGI        On Dyfed FHS      See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph                    Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Jan 2009)
  • Carmel (Independent, c1826), Cwm Firman              Records with those of Jerusalem             SN45790224     Built 1827/28, enlarged 1833, rebuilt 1882 & enlarged again 1929   Coflein           Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Jan 2009)
  • Rehoboth (Independent, 1818), Pump-hewl [Five Roads]    (just within this parish and not Llanelli)              SN47620447   Built 1819, rebuilt/modified 1827, 1855 & 1875    Coflein       Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Jan 2009)
  • Sardis (Independent, c1830), Bryncaerau, Trimsaran          Records with those of Capel Sul, Kidwelly          SN44510516     Built 1831 & [re]built 1874   Still open 1998   Coflein          On Dyfed FHS         Sardis Ind chapel, Trimsaran shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
     Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Dec 2008)
  • Libanus Ind chapel, Pwll        SN48280109    Built 1879, rebuilt/modified 1898       Coflein               On Dyfed FHS          Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  •  
  • Ebenezer / Hermon (Wesleyan Methodist, 1809), Pembrey village           Records with those of Ebenezer, Carmarthen            SN4288501052    Built 1832/3, new site 1857  at SN4312501110  & chapel rebuilt in 1858, re-named Hermon    Not still open 1994    Coflein
  • Burry Port English Wesleyan Methodist, Glan-mor Terrace, Burry Port        SN4489600665     Built 1866    Still open 2000   Coflein
  •  
  • Free Brethren Gospel Hall, Heol Llanelli, Trimsaran                            SN4504    Built in the late 20th c style              Still open 2002        Coflein   
 

Nicholson, J.A. Pembrey Parish Church registers: selected entries from 1701 to 1900, Pembrey Parish Church, Carmarthen, n.d.

Parish Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 26735 acres; Population 1622 males, 1688 females, total 3310

Places, villages, farms etc within Pembrey  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Pembrey (82); Achddu; Afon Morlais; Barclay; Bigin; Brick works; Bryn-dias; Burry Port (town); Burry Port Urban; C.G Sta.; Cenrhos; Cil-y-maen-llwyd; Coll.; Colliery(3); Craig-capel; Cwm Capel; Dafatty; Draenog; Dythel; Garn; Glassberry; Golf Links; Great Western Railway; Llandyry; Lletty-rychen; Moat; Moreb; Morfa; Mynydd Pembrey; Pant; Pant Hywel; Parc wilws; Pembrey(village); Pembrey Burrows; Pen-llwyn-isaf; Pen-llwyn-uchaf; Pen-y-bedd; Pinged; Plas-newydd; Pont-newydd; Pont Spwdwr; Pwll; Rhiw las; Rhos; Swan Pool Drain; Syddyn melyn; Towyn Burrows; Towyn canol; Towyn mawr; Tre-goch; Trim-saran (village); Twyn-bach; Ty-cornel; Ty-gwyn; Ty-mawr; Waun Baglam; Waun clyn

Directories

Pigot & Co. South Wales Directory for 1844. Here are Extracts relating to Llanelli with Loughor, Pembrey, Burry Port and Neighbourhoods

You can see pictures of Pembrey which are provided by:

Genealogy

Carmarthenshire Families

 

Evans, Margaret. PHILLIPS of Pembrey. Dyfed FHS journal (3/288)  The rise and fall of the Iron Industry, in the UK and USA, and its affect on a Welsh migrant family.

Hughes, John.  The Dunns of Dyfatty.   Dyfed FHS journal vol 9/1, Dec 2005.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Pembrey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Pembrey, H. M. Munitions Factory, archive  1926    "A munitions factory was first set up in Pembrey c. 1881, producing gunpowder and dynamite. .............."

 

Craig, R S & Robert P. Jones &  & M V Symons. The Industrial and Maritime History of Llanelli and Bury Port 1750-2000. Llanelli 2002

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Nicholson, J.A. Pembrey and Burry Port, Their Harbour, Shipwrecks and Looters, Llanelli Borough Council (n.d.) 171 p. [ISBN 0 906821 04 5]

Nicholson, J.A. Pembrey and Burry Port: Aspects of Their History. Book One, Llanelli, Wales, Llanelli Borough Council (1993) 145 p. [The main coverage is of: (i) the census returns for 1841, 1851 and 1861, with notes on selected people and places, (ii) the Ashburnham Family, and (iii) the various schools. Illustrated with maps and photographs, and provided with detailed source references.]

Nicholson, J.A. Pembrey and Burry Port: A historical miscellany: Book Two, Llanelli, Llanelli Borough Council (1994) 135 p. [Includes a lengthy account of the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway, and brief chapters relating to various local 19th century industrial organizations and industrialists, and on Field Names, Tithes, the 1871 Census, and the Rev. Thomas Evans (Vicar of Pembrey, 1817-1838).]

Nicholson, J.A. Pembrey and Burry Port: Further historical glimpses: Book Three, Llanelli, Llanelli Borough Council? (1996).

Nicholson, J.A. Pembrey and Burry Port: Some historical events and recollections: Book Four, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire County Council (1994) 187 p.

Thomas, R.G. Pembrey Parish - Early Industrial Efforts, Trans. Carms. Antiq., vol. 20, no. Part XLIX, (1929) pp.39.

Williams, R J. Meat Poisoning at Burry Port: 1893. Dyfed FHS Journal Vol 8/5 April 2004.

Four articles on Pembrey Parish, from South & West Wales Magazine: "Ashburnham Estate of Pembrey Parish", "Larger Homes of Pembrey Parish", "Pembrey Village & The Boars Head", and "Early 19th Century Pembrey Parish".

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

  • Research material of D. G. Lloyd Hughes relating to the history of Burry Port and Pembrey, Carmarthenshire, and Pwllheli.
  • Papers of Richard Ellis Williams (1862-1926), Baptist minister in Cwmavon, London and Pembrey.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Ashburnham Welsh Estates Records   1392-1968 (predominantly 1600-1925]     "Before 1677 the Ashburnham Welsh estate belonged to the Vaughan family, originally of Brodwardine, Herefordshire. Following the marriage of Sir Richard Vaughan to Anne, daughter and heiress of John Butler of Pembrey the family acquired both the Pembrey and Dunraven estates..........."

Documents at the National Library of Wales:

  • Records of the Welsh estates of the earls of Ashburnham, 1392-1923. The chief estates were Porthamal, Breconshire, and in the parishes of Llanddeusant, Myddfai and Pembrey.

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN429013 (Lat/Lon: 51.688374, -4.274188), Pembrey which are provided by:

Merchant Marine

The People's Collection Wales site has material for this parish, use the onsite search box

Nicholson, J.A.. Pembrey and Burry Port, Their Harbour, Shipwrecks and Looters, Llanelli Borough Council, n.d., 171 p. ISBN 0 906821 04 5.

Burry Estuary Wrecks 1868, from P.H.Rees, Gower Shipwrecks - South & West Wales Magazine.

Occupations

Trimsaran Colliery  Washery on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Trimsaran Estate         "Plan of Trimsaran Estate, Pembrey showing seams of coal, undated (?c1850-1950)."  
  • O J Anthony [lecture]     "During the 1930s O J Anthony worked at Pembrey Collieries Ltd., as a boy collier or carter at the colliery known locally as 'Y Ffrwd' Burry Port. The lecture relates his memories of life in the mine during this period."

 

[Gareth Hicks  23 Dec 2012]