"PENBOYR (PEN-BOYR), a parish, in the union of NEWCASTLE-EMLYN, higher division of the hundred of ELVET, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.E.) from Newcastle-Emlyn; containing 1375 inhabitants. This parish, which is situated in the north-western part of the county . . . contains a large tract of arable and pasture land, inclosed and cultivated, the whole comprising 5600 acres, of which 3000 are arable, 2000 meadow or pasture, and 600 wood. The surface is hilly, in some parts mountainous, and in others picturesque . . . the crops chiefly consisting of wheat, barley, and oats; the prevailing timber is oak and ash. . . The church, dedicated to St. Llawddog, a very ancient building in a delapidated state, was taken down and rebuilt from the ground, in 1809 . . . There is a chapel of ease in the parish, called Trinity Chapel in which service is performed . . . About 60 children are educated in a day school, at the expense of their parents; and two Sunday schools, one in connexion with the Established Church, and the other with Calvinistic Methodists, afford instruction to about 120 males and females. The churchyard is supposed to occupy part of the site of a Roman camp; a pot of Roman coins was found in the neighbourhood, not many years ago, and part of an ancient road and other traces of of Roman occupation have been found in the parish. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
1841 census of Penboyr - transcription by Alan Jones
1851 census of Penboyr - transcription by Alan Jones
1891 census of Penboyr - transcription by Alan Jones
PENBOYR, St. Llawdog 1885-1889 - on the Church plans online site
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1752-1901), Marriages (1752-1970), and Burials (1752-1947), with Marriages at St Barnabas (1907-64), are at the National Library of Wales with Mf copies [except St Barnabas] at Carm.RO
Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1752-1970) St Barnabas M (1876-1970) at NLW and Carm.RO
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1674-6, 1678-89, 1701, 1703, 1799-1812, 1819, 1823-6, 1828-80, 1882) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Parish Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Places, villages, farms etc within Pen-Boyr as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
Griffiths, John & Mary. GRIFFITHS of CMN and PEM. Dyfed FHS journal (3/333) . Traces the descendants of Isaac Griffiths, miller of Landshipping, and David Griffith, farm labourer of Penboyr, to Merthyr Tydfil in the 19th century.
Jones, D.E. Hanes Plwyfi Llangeler a Phenboyr (1899) [History of Llangeler and Pen-Boyr parishes], Llandysul, J.D. Lewis, Gomerian Press (Facsimile reprint - Caerfyrddin: Adran Gwasanaethau Diwylliannol, Cyngor Sir Dyfedt, 1994) (1899) ii,423,xviip, leaf of plates: il, map; 20cm. ISBN 0860750922. Here is an Index by Sian Bowi
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
[Gareth Hicks : 19 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date