"PENCARREG (PEN-CAREG), a parish, in the union of LAMPETER, higher division of the hundred of CATHINOG, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 4 miles (S.W.) from Lampeter; containing 1187 inhabitants. It forms a pleasing and well-wooded tract on the Teivy, and is intersected by the road from Lampeter to Carmarthen; a lofty mountain, called Pencarreg, extends across it on the south. The village is situated on the left bank of the river; a fair is held in it on October 11th. . . The church, dedicated to St. Patrick, is a small structure of no architectural pretensions. There are places of worship for Presbyterians and Baptists. In the winter and spring there are generally two day schools, containing about 60 children; and in the summer and autumn the parishioners assemble on Sundays to give instruction in reading &c., to such as require it. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]
Monumental inscriptions for Bethel Parcyrhos Chapel and Esgairdawe Independent Chapel, are available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.
Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants
Parish entry from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).
Davies, T. Eirug. Hanes Bethel, Parcyrhos at gyrddau dathlu ei chanmlwyddiant, Mai 28ain a 29ain, 1940, (Llanbedr-Pont-Steffan, 1940), 48p.
Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710 National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of Pencarreg
Gruffydd, W.J. Caersalem y Bedyddwyr: Parc y Rhos: 1840-1990, Parc y Rhos, Eglwys y Bedyddwyr Caersalem (1990) 32 p., ill., facsims., ports.
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru. (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) volume 3, page 559, published 1873, FHL microfilm 1559405 item 3.
Here is the ( Welsh) extract from this book relating to Esgairdawe contributed by Darris G Williams (with translation by Eric Davies)
Williams, M.E. Hanes Eglwys Annibynnol Esgairdawe, Mary Eunice Williams (1992) 293 p. : p., ill., map. Here is an index by Gareth Hicks , also two lists of chapel members and some baptism, marriage and burial records for the chapel.
Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site
Parish registers: Christenings (1789-1934) , Marriages (1754-1968), Burials (1789-1992) are at the National Library of Wales and copy Mf Marriages (1754-1968) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office
Copy ts PR index C (1813-1934) M (1754-1971) B (1813-1992) at NLW
Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1675-1901, but with many gaps) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.
Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 17 - Cathinog Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Held at Carmarthen Archives;
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D. UWP, Cardiff, 1976. These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;
Places, villages, farms etc within Pencarreg as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
Ein plwyf [Our parish]: hanes Plwyf Pencarreg [history of Pencarreg Parish], [Glanrhyd, Cwmann, Lampeter, Dyfed], [Cwmann Young Farmers' Club] (1976) 84 p.,  p. of plates: p., ill. [ISBN: 0950520608 (pbk)]
Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish
Williams, D. J. The Old Farmhouse/Hen Dy Ffarm. trans. from Welsh by Waldo Williams. 1961 (Harrap). 238pp. well-known account of farming life in the Carmarthenshire parishes of Llansawel, Caio, Pencarreg and Llanybydder at turn of 19th and 20th centuries. Also a parallel-text Welsh/English version published by Gomer, Llandysul, 2001/2, (1 84323 032 1). "Since it was first published in 1953 Hen Dy Ffarm has become a classic of Welsh literature......."
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
[Gareth Hicks : 17 Dec 2012]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date