GENUKI Home page up Carmarthenshire Contents Contents

 

ST ISHMAEL [LLANISMEL]

Parish based
sketch map
of the
hundred

"ISHMAEL'S (ST.), a parish, in the hundred of KIDWELLY, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (S. by W.) from Carmarthen; containing 895 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the sea-shore, and many of the inhabitants obtain a living by taking fish, which are found here in great variety and abundance, especially cockles and muscles, although they have nearly disappeared for the last ten years. The navigable river Towy runs through the parish, which is peculiarly suited to the growth of barley, which it produces of very fine quality. It contains the improving village of Ferry-side . . . The church is built on a rock near the seashore, and at high tides the waves approach within thirty yards of its base. Within the limits of the parish is a chapel of ease, called Llansaint chapel, occupying a very elevated site, its lofty tower forming a conspicuous object and a well-known landmark to mariners approaching the coast. There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists. . . In this neighbourhood was Cevn Sidan, a sand-bank highly dangerous, and dreaded by sailors, but it has almost entirely disappeared within the last eight years. . . " [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Church History

ST. ISHMAEL, St. Ishmael   1835-1841  - on the Church plans online site

LLANSAINT, All Saint s   1861-1862   - on the Church plans online site

FERRYSIDE, St. Thomas   1825-1828  - on the Church plans online site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

 

Parish entry for St Ishmael's with Llansaint and Ferryside from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

 

Edwards, T. Hanes y Bedyddwr yn Salem, Glanyfferi o'u Dechreuad hyd 1890 [History of the Baptists at Salem, Ferryside from its Beginning until 1890). Aberdare, Jenkin Howell (1891). [LDS 994004]

All Saints Church photograph and basic information and St. Ishmael's Church photograph and basic information from Dyfed FHS.

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1560-1946), Marriages (1561-1920), Banns (1929-71) and Burials (1560-1969) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1560-1761) are at the National Library of Wales.

Copy ts PR index C (1813-55) M (1561-1875) B (1813-63) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1671-2, 1675, 1677-9, 1681-4, 1686-7, 1690, 1693-4, 1696-9, 1701-3, 1707-8, 1710-11, 1713, 1716-58, 1760-1800, 1802-40, 1842-6, 1848-50, 1853-5, 1879) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 16 - Kidwelly Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989).

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

Places, villages, farms etc within St Ishmael  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

 

Jones, D.G. Introducing Ferryside, Llandysul, Gomer Press (1978) 42 p., ill. [ISBN: 0850886007 (pbk)]

Genealogy

Carmarthenshire Families

Davies, Mabel. The Gowers of St Ishmael's, Carmarthenshire. Dyfed FHS journal Vol 7/4 April 2001. A brief article with a detailed pedigree chart covering four generations  from 1560.

History

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see below for this parish;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Jenkins, Dilys and Roy Davies. The Log Books of Ferryside School 1889-1937. The Carmarthenshire Antiquary, 1970, Vol vi
 
Return to top of page

[Gareth Hicks : 22 Dec 2012]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.