Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Tre-Lech A'r Betws

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Tre-Lech A'r Betws

"TRELÊCH-AR-BETTWS (TRÉF-LLÊCH A'R BETTWS), a parish, in the higher division of the hundred of ELVET, union and county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N.W. by W.) from Carmarthen; containing 1620 inhabitants. This parish comprises a large tract of arable and pasture, inclosed, and a very extensive district of uncultivated land, consisting chiefly of heath and turbaries, from which latter the inhabitants principally obtain their fuel, and which also afford a supply to the neighbouring parishes. The surface is uneven and in some parts hilly. The petty-sessions for the hundred are held here every month. . . The church, dedicated to St. Teilo, and situated within two miles of the turnpike-road from Carmarthen to Cardigan, was rebuilt in 1834, and is a neat and commodious structure: Capel Bettws is a chapel of ease for it. There are two places of worship for Independents, one for Methodists, and one for Baptists. A school was founded in 1804 . . . it contains about 70 children . . . There are also three day schools, in which about 110 children are educated at their parents' expense; and five Sunday schools, containing about 385 males and females, supported by subscription. . . In the parish is a remarkable barrow, called Crûg-y-Deyrn, or the "King's Barrow,", about sixty paces in circumference at the base . . ." [From A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (S. Lewis, 1844).]

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • John E. Richards, Wholesale and Retail Merchant, Gellywen, Records  1882-1908     "John E. Richards of Gellywen, Tre-lech a'r Betws, Carmarthenshire, was a wholesale and retail merchant active in the late 19th century."

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Tre-Lech A'r Betws area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Capel Bettws - on the Cistercian Way site

Some church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. Ed. by   I.G Jones, & D. Williams. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976. The names are those of the informants

  • Trelech a'r Bettws Parish Church                 David Thomas Thomas
  • Bettws Chapel of Ease, Trelech a'r Bettws                   David Thomas Thomas, Minister
  • Peterwell    Ind     Erected in 1808          Evan Jones, Minister, Carmarthen
  • Tyhen      CM           Erected in 1830          Theos. Howells, Deacon, Cefnonen, Trelech ar Bettws to be left at 3 samons water street Carmarthen
  • Eynon    Baptists             Erected in 1828       John Richards, Deacon
  • Rock chapel      Ind        Erected before 1800              Thos Evans, secretary, Glynblewog.  No Minister.

Parish entry for Trelech-a'r-Bettws with Bettws from The Welsh Church Year Book, 1929 (Cd by (Archive CD Books)).

  • St Teilo
  • &
  • (Church in ruins, Bettws)
  • Incumbent and Curates; J Evans
  • Rural Deanery of  Carmarthen
  • Acreage 11,580 ; Population  1,094
Davies, B. Cofgolofn: sef byr-hanes eglwys Capel y Graig, Trelech, o'i sefydliad hyd ymweliad y Gymanfa Dair-sirol â hi yn 1896, (Llandysul, 1896), 48p.

Griffiths, G. Milwyn. A Visitation of the Archdeaconry of Carmarthen, 1710   National Library of Wales journal. 1974, Summer Vol XVIII/3. Includes the parish of  Tre 'Lech and chapel of ease of Bettws

Church Records

Dyfed FHS have photographs and data relating to various churches and chapels on their site

Parish registers: Christenings (1663-1897), Marriages (1663-1970) and Burials (1663-1886) are at the Carmarthenshire Record Office.

Facsimile Parish registers: Christenings, Marriages and Burials (1663-1796) are at the National Library of Wales.

Copy ts PR index CB (1813-75) M (1663-1875) at NLW and Carm.RO

Bishops' Transcripts, covering the period (1678-86, 1690-1, 1693-1703, 1705, 1707-8, 1710-11, 1713, 1715, 1717-18, 1720-2, 1724-62, 1764-72, 1774-8, 1780-1, 1783-90, 1792-7, 1802-8, 1810-14, 1816-77) are at the National Library of Wales, and have been microfilmed by the LDS.

Here is a partial and ongoing transcription of the Bishops Transcripts for this parish by Katherine Hocking

An Index to Christenings (1813-1875), Marriages (1663-1875) and Burials (1813-1875) is available on microfiche from Dyfed FHS.

Marriage index for this parish - see Dyfed Marriages, 1813-1837, Vol. 15 - Elvet Hundred (Dyfed Family History Society, c1989)

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg

Nonconformist Chapels:

  • Ainon (Baptist, bef 1828), Gelliwen               Records with those of Salem (Llanfihgel Abercowin)           SN27572367        Built in 1828, rebuilt/modified 1880    Still open 1998    Coflein
  •  
  • Ty hen (Calvinistic Methodist, early 19c), Ty hen              SN30192409             Built 1830; rebuilt/modified 1837 with graveyard & again 1867     Coflein                  Still open in 2006
  •  
  • Capel-y-Graig (Independent, c 1688), Rhydwenog        Births and baptisms (1735-1837), burials (1834-37) PRO RG4/3483, RG4/4024 and RG42258, LDS 815972, IGI, christenings (1820-37); contributions (1967-75) (DX/71), Carmarthenshire R.O.; members (1789-1915) and contributions (19 and 20C) Carmarthenshire R.O. 6370-71                     On Dyfed FHS                Ind chapel, Trelech shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
    Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)
  • Penybont (Independent, c1856), Trelech village           Records with those of Capel-y-Graig              SN30612707      Built 1856 rebuilt/modified c 1860         Coflein         Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
     Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (Jan 2009)
  • Peterwell/Ffynnonbedr (Independent, 1808), near Dyffryn farm              Records with those of Capel-y-Graig           SN31442254         Built 1808/9, enlarged 1825 & rebuilt/modified 1851    Coflein          On Dyfed FHS under Meidrim                     Ffynnon Bedr Ind chapel (no parish) shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
     Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh )  - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Jan 2011)

Description and Travel

The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales., byJones, I.G. & Williams, D.   UWP,   Cardiff, 1976.  These statistics for this parish are extracted from this book which in turn got them from the 1851 census itself;

  • Area 11492 acres; Population 740 males, 792 females, total 1532

Places, villages, farms etc within Tre-Lech a'r Betws as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Katherine Hocking)

  • Trelech a'r Bettws (44) :- Berth-lwyd, Blaen Dewi, Blaen-dyfod, Blaen pant, Careg wen, Castell gorwyn, Castell mawr, Cefn cloch, Clyn-blewog, Clyn garthen, Croes Ifan, Crug Blus, Crug-y-Doyrn, Cwm, Dinas, Dinas-fach, Eithn-duon isaf, Eithn duon uchaf, Fach ddu, Felindre, Ffynon-dafology, Ffynton-wen, Fron las, Gelli, Gelliwen, Gilfach wen, Gilfach-y-bettws, Glan rhyd, Godre Dewi, Inn, Llwyn crwn, Mill, New-nant, Pant Gronow, Pant melyn, Pant-y-coed, Pen y bont, Plas parcau, Plaspant-hoel, Pwll y march, Rhos Crug ebolion, Rhos-ychain, Tal-y-fan uchaf,  Trelech a'r Bettws, Trenoeth, Treto, Twmpath, Tyddyn-bara.
You can see pictures of Tre-Lech A'r Betws which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Tre-Lech A'r Betws has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

History

Lloyd, Sir John E., (Ed.). A History of Carmarthenshire (2 vols.), Cardiff, London Carmarthenshire Society (1935, 1939). Extracts from this book can be accessed on some parish pages, see here for this parish

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Davies collection of Morgan family deeds and papers  1808-1911    "Deeds and documents relating to properties in Carmarthenshire and Cardiganshire, including Gilvach and Penrhiw farms and other properties in Tre-lech a'r Betws, Carmarthenshire, and properties in Cardigan, Cardiganshire, 1808-1911; and copies, 1880, of wills of the Morgan family (1839-1876)."

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SN306268 (Lat/Lon: 51.913860, -4.464427), Tre-Lech A'r Betws which are provided by:

Occupations

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Account of Lead Ore Weighed at Cileinon, [Trelech a'r Betws] 1862-1864   

Carmarthen United . An example of undercapitalisation in a mid 19th century lead venture. "Although undoubtedly the site of a much earlier working the Trelech mine was opened up as Carmarthen United in about 1855 / 56.........."
Personal names included in "Amounts due to miners and surface workers for work carried out at Carmarthen United Mine, November 1859 to March 1860 inclusive."

Claughton, Peter. Carmarthen United: an example of undercapitalisation in a mid 19th century lead venture, British Mining No. 50, 1994, pp.149 - 157.[See above.]. See also the diaries of Williams,  David,  a carpenter working for Lewis Evans at the Llanfyrnach Mine.From this it is clear that Trelech (Carmarthen United) Mine was actively investigated by Evans during 1888. The diaries have been published in part in Clebran (papur bro'r Preseli) Rhif 235, Ionawr 1996.

Schools

Davies, J. and Thomas, H.M. Hanes pedair ysgol: Pen-y-bont, Tre-lech, Alma, Penrhiwlas, Llandysul, Gwasg Gomer (1975) 137 p., plate: p., ill., 1 map, 1 port. [ISBN: 0850882885]

[Gareth Hicks : 20 Dec 2012]