"A parish in the Union of St. Asaph, hundred of Isdulas, four miles (SSW) from Abergele, containing 912 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated at the base of a lofty mountain, by which it is sheltered on one side, and has a fine opening towards the north, commanding a full view of the Irish Sea."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Peniarth, Bodlyman, Maesegwig, Tre'rllan, Trofarth, and part of Cilcen.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Bettws-yn-Rhos Parish, Statistics; Area 6262 acres; Population 472 males, 423 females, total 895
Ordnance Survey reference SH 907735.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, as being part of the parish of Abergele, but it is distinct from Abergele in the Lincoln Taxation of 1254.
The old church was demolished in 1838; and the foundation stone of the present building was laid on 19 July 1838.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Betws-yn-Rhos :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|1705 - 1992||1705 - 1989||1705 - 1992|
|1663 - 1812||1663 - 1812||1663 - 1812|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1833||1663 - 1833|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Betws-yn-Rhos are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Betws yn Rhos - on wikipedia
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 2 June 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date