"A township in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; containing, in 1841, 1449 inhabitants. ..... This township and its vicinity abound with rich and extensive mines of coal, lead, and iron ore, &c., and various establishments, on a very large scale, have for a considerable number of years been employed in working them. .....
That remarkable monument of Saxon industry, Clawdd Offa, or Offa's Dyke, passes through this township, crossing near Brymbo Hall, where it has been levelled for the formation of rail-roads in connexion with the collieries and iron-works: in levelling a portion of it, a great quantity of the bones of horses, in a state of excellent preservation, and horse-shoes of rude workmanship, were found."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Broughton was formed by an Order in Council on 15 February 1909, from part of the township of Broughton, which since 1844 had been in the parish of Brymbo. On 7 May 1921, a small part of the south of the parish went to the new parish of Southsea.
For a map link to this place - see Pentre Broughton - under Maps on Wrexham
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Broughton Township within Wrexham Parish, Statistics; Area 1183 acres; Population 1037 males, 965 females, total 2002
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 306533.
The foundation stone of the church, which is dedicated to St. Paul, was laid on 12 November 1888. The first service was held on Monday, 29 July 1889, although the church was not officially licensed for worship until 16 November 1889 - and almost twenty years passed before it was consecrated, on 3 January 1909.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of St. Paul's.
Broughton, St Paul (1888/89) - on the Church Plans online site
A new Mission Church, St. Peter's, at Brynteg (SJ 308523), was dedicated by the Bishop of St. Asaph on 1 May 1895.
The church was consecrated on 3 January 1909.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of St. Peter's.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Broughton :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Moriah, New Broughton||Baptists||30|
|Salem Newydd (or Moss)||Baptists||269|
|Blacklane||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||230|
|Caersalem, Pentre Cerney||Calvinistic Methodists||180|
|Cyssegr,New Broughton||Calvinistic Methodists||150|
|Berea, New Broughton||Congregationalists||60|
|Bethesda, Bryn Teg||Congregationalists||171|
|Moss||Congregationalists (English language)||47|
|Bethel, Old Mount||Wesleyans||500|
|Brake (or Moss)||Wesleyans (English language)||312|
|Soar, New Broughton||Wesleyans||229|
|Moriah, Blacklane (Welsh)||United Methodist Free Church||78|
|Lodge||Primitive Methodists (English language)||70|
|Zion, Brynteg||Primitive Methodists (English language)||300|
|Cerney||Free Gospellers (English language)||200|
|1890 - 1925||1909 - 1954||1889 - 1927|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Broughton are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Broughton - on wikipedia
Pentre Broughton - on wikipedia
New Broughton Colliery - on the North Wales Miners Ass. site
Cross Foxes Inn, Pentre Broughton - on the North Wales Miners Ass. site
Last Updated 5 Sept 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date