Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Brymbo Township within Wrexham Parish, Statistics; Area 2451 acres; Population 932 males, 807 females, total 1739
- Brymbo District Church Erected in 1841 ( Lewis 1849) Attendance - morning 180 + 72 scholars, afternoon 82 + 88 scholars, evening no service W G Davies, Incumbent
- Bryn Seion, Congregationalist Erected 1840 in lieu of older building Attendance - morning 84 scholars, afternoon 112, evening 125 John Evans, Deacon
- Harwood Chapel, Calvinist Methodist Erected 1820 Attendance - morning 102, afternoon 95 scholars, evening 106 Rich. Jones, Deacon, Gwin y Gaseg
- Mount Chapel, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1838 Attendance - morning 64, afternoon 86, evening 170 Evan Thomas, Steward; John Lewis, Minister
- Pen Graig Chapel, Baptist Erected 1847 Attendance - morning 100 scholars, afternoon 105 scholars, evening 140 scholars Owen Owen, Baptist Minister
- Bwlch Gwyn, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1827 Attendance - morning 36 scholars, afternoon 70, evening 50 John Powell, Deacon
- Bethesda Chapel, Bwlchgwyn, Wesleyan Methodist Erected 1843 Attendance - morning 73, afternoon 51, evening 53 John Bartley, Class Leader
The first church to be built was consecrated on 31 July 1838. Unfortunately, it began to collapse because of subsidence, and it was closed in 1869. The well-known local historian, Alfred Neobard Palmer, stated that the subsidence was caused by construction work on the nearby Great Western Railway; but other authorities blame it on extensive coal-mining operations. Services were temporarily transferred to the nearby school, but this also became unsafe - for the same reason.
The foundation stone of a new church, a little distance away, (Ordnance Survey reference SJ 295543) was laid on 15 August 1871; and the church was consecrated on 10 September 1872, the dedication being to St. Mary.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
A second church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1892 on the site of the original church, specifically for the use of the Welsh-speaking population. Not surprisingly, in view of the history of the site, this building became unsafe; and it was demolished during the 1970's.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Brymbo :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
||Baptists (English language)
||Wesleyans (English language)
|Mynydd Seion, Tanyfron