"A township in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; containing, in 1841, 1217 inhabitants. ..... "
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Brymbo was formed by an Order in Council on 6 December 1844, out of the ancient parish of Wrexham. It contained the township of Brymbo and part of the township of Broughton.
On 5 March 1880, the western part of the parish went to the new parish of Bwlchgwyn; on 15 February 1909, part of the township of Broughton went to the new parish of Broughton; and on 7 May 1921, part went to the new parish of Southsea.
For a map link to this place - see Maps under Wrexham.
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Brymbo Township within Wrexham Parish, Statistics; Area 2451 acres; Population 932 males, 807 females, total 1739
The first church to be built was consecrated on 31 July 1838. Unfortunately, it began to collapse because of subsidence, and it was closed in 1869. The well-known local historian, Alfred Neobard Palmer, stated that the subsidence was caused by construction work on the nearby Great Western Railway; but other authorities blame it on extensive coal-mining operations. Services were temporarily transferred to the nearby school, but this also became unsafe - for the same reason.
The foundation stone of a new church, a little distance away, (Ordnance Survey reference SJ 295543) was laid on 15 August 1871; and the church was consecrated on 10 September 1872, the dedication being to St. Mary.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
A second church, dedicated to St. John, was built in 1892 on the site of the original church, specifically for the use of the Welsh-speaking population. Not surprisingly, in view of the history of the site, this building became unsafe; and it was demolished during the 1970's.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Brymbo :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Lodge||Baptists (English language)||185|
|Peniel, Bwlchgwyn||Calvinistic Methodists||175|
|Salem, Bwlchgwyn||Calvinistic Methodists||110|
|Not named||Wesleyans (English language)||150|
|Mynydd Seion, Tanyfron||Wesleyans||337|
|1838 - 1945||1839 - 1971||1838 - 1968|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1839 - 1855||1839 - 1855|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Brymbo are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Brymbo - on wikipedia
Brymbo - Alan Owen's site
Brymbo Man - on Wrexham CBC site
Brymbo Steel Works site
Last Updated 1 Nov 2012 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date