GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents

 

Capel Garmon

"A parochial chapelry in the Union of Llanrwst, hundred of Isdulas, four miles (S by E) from Llanrwst. This chapelry, which comprises a considerable extent of rugged and barren hills, contains lead ore, but the works for procuring it have been discontinued of late years."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The parish of Capel Garmon was originally a Chapel of Ease to Llanrwst, comprising the townships of Garth Garmon and Tybrith Uchaf.
It became a separate parish in 1927.

 

Bibliography

Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SH 815554.
"The chapel, dedicated to St. Germanus, is of very ancient foundation: the present edifice was built in 1789, near the site of a former chapel, which had fallen into decay."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The church to which Lewis refers had itself fallen into decay by 1862, and was demolished. A new building was erected, being consecrated on 11 November 1863.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

The church was closed some years ago; and, for ecclesiastical purposes, the parish of Capel Garmon is administered jointly with the parishes of Llanrwst and Llanddoget.

Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Capel Garmon were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Llanrwst Rural. Details will be found on the parish page for Llanrwst.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

The registers have been in a poor condition for very many years, and had to be repaired after they had been deposited at the Ruthin Record Office. The church was given facsimile copies of the repaired registers.
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1702 - 1910 1707 - 1969 1702 - 1869
The Rector of Llanrwst loaned the facsimile copies of the repaired registers to the Clwyd Family History Society for transcribing.
The Society is grateful to Mr. Alun Rawson Williams, of Denbigh, for his assistance in making available to the Society transcripts which his father made in the early 1930s. Soon after he had made these transcripts, a storm blew open the door of the church vestry, and scattered some pages of the registers across the open countryside. Some were recovered, but many were lost. The Society was therefore fortunate to have these transcripts, which are the only extant copies of many pages of the registers. The entries for 1696 were taken from the only early Bishop's Transcripts to have survived.
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1696 - 1842 1696 - 1812 1696 - 1841

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1696 - 1853 1696 - 1853

I.G.I.

Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the chapelry of Capel Garmon was assigned to the Llanrwst Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanrwst poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Capel Garmon are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Capel Garmon - on wikipedia

Capel Garmon - on the geograph site

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page

Population

Return to top of page

Statistics

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  11 April 2011 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI