Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh; 3½ miles (SW) from Ruthin. ..... This parish is situated in a mountainous district, and the village is almost surrounded by unproductive and widely extended heaths: in the vicinity are some excellent quarries of stone, among which is that peculiar kind used for hones."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Clocaenog comprised the townships of Bryngwri, Llanerchgron, Maen-ar-ei-gilydd, Maestyddyn, Clocaenog Ucha, and Clocaenog Isa.
- Naisby, Audrey (ed). Plwyf Clocaenog a'r trigolion Wrexham : Bridge Books, c2006.
- Pratt, Derrick. Parkers of Clocaenog Trafodion (Denbighshire Historical Society), 43 (1994), p. 116-120.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Bethesda, Wesleyan, Clocaenog Ordnance Survey reference SJ 082543.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Foddhyd, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was renovated in 1856, and again in 1882.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Clocaenog :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1672 - 1961
||1676 - 1965
||1672 - 1933
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1672 - 1812
||1676 - 1812
||1672 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1676 - 1863
||1813 - 1863
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|1813 - 1863
||1813 - 1836
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Clocaenog was assigned to the No. 4 ("Gyffylliog") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Clocaenog are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Clocaenog which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Clocaenog has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ083541 (Lat/Lon: 53.076213, -3.370302), Clocaenog which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 461.
- In 1901- the population was 373.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 6134 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]