GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents


Colwyn Bay

The new parish of Colwyn Bay was created on 15 May 1893, by an Order in Council, from the townships of Llwytgoed, Rhiw, and part of Dinerth, which until then had been in the ancient parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos.
On 5 May 1900, Llwytgoed and part of Rhiw were transferred to the new parish of Bryn-y-Maen.

For a map link to Colyn Bay - see under Maps on Llandrillo-yn-Rhos


Church History

During the Victorian period, Colwyn Bay developed rapidly as a holiday resort. The first church services in the new town were held in a carpenter's shed on 18 June 1872. An iron "Mission Church" was opened on 23 June 1880, but this was destroyed in a fire on 31 October 1886.

The present parish church (SJ 850788), dedicated to St. Paul, was consecrated on 13 July 1888; the chancel being opened on 7 April 1895; and the tower on 12 November 1911.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

The foundation stone of St. David's (SJ 850788), which was intended for the use of the Welsh-speaking congregation, was laid on Whit Monday 1902, the church being dedicated on 1 March 1903. St. David's is adjacent to St. Paul's.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

The foundation stone of St. Andrew's (SJ 841793), to serve the westerly end of the new parish, was laid on 2 November 1908.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for Colwyn  chapel (in Welsh ) - with a translation by Eleri Rowlands (April 2011)

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Colwyn Bay :
Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Not named Baptists (English language) 160
Tabernacl Baptists 223
Not named Calvinistic Methodists (English language) 245
Bethlehem Calvinistic Methodists 362
Engedi Calvinistic Methodists 640
Hermon Calvinistic Methodists 74
Mochdre Calvinistic Methodists 147
Zion, Upper Colwyn Bay Calvinistic Methodists 58
Not named Congregationalists 270
Not named Congregationalists (English language) 450
Bron y nant Wesleyans 100
Horeb Wesleyans 293
Nantyglyn Road Wesleyans (English language) 170
St.John's Wesleyans (English language) 500
Congo Institute School Chapel Christians Not stated
Friends' Meeting House Society of Friends Not stated
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1893 - 1955 1891 - 1952 1931 - 1964

Bishop's Transcripts


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

The new parish of Colwyn Bay was assigned to the Conwy Registration District.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Colwyn Bay are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Colwyn Bay Civic Society site

Colwyn Bay Online Directory site


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated 2 Oct 2012  - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.