Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Cyffylliog or Y Gyffylliog
" A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh. ..... It is situated in the southern portion of the county, and is intersected by several small streams, which, rising in the circumjacent hills, unite within the parish, and, flowing in a north-easterly direction, fall into the river Clwyd. It comprises a moderate extent of arable and pasture land in a good state of cultivation."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
Cyffylliog was a chapel of ease to Llanynys until 26 January 1874, when it was established as a separate parish, comprising the townships of Bontuchel, Trefor (or Cefntrefor), Treganol (or Fachlwyd), Ffiddoedd and Tre'r Parc; which until then had been in the parish of Llanynys.
To all intents and purposes, Cyffylliog had already functioned as a separate parish for many years.
In 1878, a further 2007 acres were added to Cyffylliog from the parish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch.
- Williams, David. The high life ... in Cyffylliog? Clwyd Historian = Hanes Bro Clwyd. No. 40 (Spring 1998), p. 22-27
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Cyffylliog, Capel Salem Ordnance Survey reference SJ 059578.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is believed to date from the late twelfth century. The present building was erected in the fifteenth century; and was restored in 1876 and 1904.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Cyffylliog :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Bontuchel ||Calvinistic Methodists ||168 |
|Cyffylliog ||Calvinistic Methodists ||261 |
|Hiraethog ||Calvinistic Methodists ||63 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1617 - 1851 ||1617 - 1967 ||1617 - 1953 |
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1617 - 1812 ||1617 - 1812 ||1617 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1663 - 1861 ||1663 - 1861 |
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|Baptisms ||Marriages |
|1796 - 1800 |
1813 - 1861
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Cyffylliog was assigned to the No. 4 ("Gyffylliog") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Cyffylliog are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cyffylliog or Y Gyffylliog which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Cyffylliog or Y Gyffylliog has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ059577 (Lat/Lon: 53.108147, -3.407171), Cyffylliog or Y Gyffylliog which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 636.
- In 1901- the population was 484.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 10,187 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]