GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents



" A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh. ..... It is situated in the southern portion of the county, and is intersected by several small streams, which, rising in the circumjacent hills, unite within the parish, and, flowing in a north-easterly direction, fall into the river Clwyd. It comprises a moderate extent of arable and pasture land in a good state of cultivation."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

Cyffylliog was a chapel of ease to Llanynys until 26 January 1874, when it was established as a separate parish, comprising the townships of Bontuchel, Trefor (or Cefntrefor), Treganol (or Fachlwyd), Ffiddoedd and Tre'r Parc; which until then had been in the parish of Llanynys.
To all intents and purposes, Cyffylliog had already functioned as a separate parish for many years.
In 1878, a further 2007 acres were added to Cyffylliog from the parish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch.



Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Cyffylliog, Capel Salem

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 059578.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, is believed to date from the late twelfth century. The present building was erected in the fifteenth century; and was restored in 1876 and 1904.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Cyffylliog :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Bontuchel Calvinistic Methodists 168
Cyffylliog Calvinistic Methodists 261
Hiraethog Calvinistic Methodists 63
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1617 - 1851 1617 - 1967 1617 - 1953
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1617 - 1812 1617 - 1812 1617 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1663 - 1861 1663 - 1861


Baptisms Marriages
1796 - 1800
1813 - 1861
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Cyffylliog was assigned to the No. 4 ("Gyffylliog") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Cyffylliog are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Cyffylliog photographs - on the site


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.