Denbigh, St. Hilary
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 052659.
St. Hilary's was built in the early fourteenth century, as the " Garrison Chapel" to Denbigh Castle. It is mentioned in a document of 1335. Although St. Marcella's was the official parish church, St. Hilary's was much nearer to the centre of population, and it gradually took over many of the functions of the parish church.
By the Victorian period, it was in need of extensive repair; and at a Vestry meeting on 26 April 1867, it was reported that £1760 would have to be spent on essential repairs. The decision was taken, unanimously, to erect a new church, (St. Mary's), in a more convenient location. After St. Mary's was opened, in 1875, St. Hilary's was allowed to become derelict. Apart from the tower, which is still standing, St. Hilary's was completely demolished during the 1920's.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the tower.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks