Denbigh, St. Marcella
Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Marcella (Llanfarchell),
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 072662.
St. Marcella was a Welsh saint of the sixth century, sister of St. Deifyr of Bodfari (in Flintshire), and St. Teyrnog of Llandyrnog.
The church of St. Marcella (Llanfarchell in Welsh) stands in rural surroundings about a mile east of the lower end of Vale Street, Denbigh. Despite being so far from the town, it is in fact the original parish church of Denbigh. It is also known as Whitchurch (Eglwys Wen), possibly because its exterior walls were at one time whitewashed.
The church is mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. However, only the tower, an Early English doorway and the "Priest's Door" still remain of the early building. The rest of the church was built in the late sixteenth century. By 1828, it had fallen into disuse, except for burials, in favour of St. Hilary's, which was much closer to the town centre. It was extensively restored in 1908 / 1909, and was re-opened on 1 April 1909; the cost of £1900 being defrayed by public subscription. The church is still in regular use.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks