"A hamlet in the parish of Llanarmon, Union of Ruthin, hundred of Yale, county of Denbigh; 4½ miles (E) from Ruthin; containing 681 inhabitants. ..... It is bounded on the western side by the lofty Clwydian mountains, which separate it from the Vale of Clwyd, and on the eastern by a range of hills, nearly equal in height, separating from Flintshire."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Eryrys was formed by an Order in Council on 11 October 1861, from parts of the townships of Eryrys, Cyfnant, and Gwaunyffynnon, which had until then been in the parish of Llanarmon yn Iāl.
For a map link to Eryrys village - see under Maps on Llanarmon yn Iāl
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Eryrys may have been included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Llanarmon yn Iāl. Details will be found on the parish page for Llanarmon yn Iāl.
|1862 - 1978||1864 - 1970||1865 - 1977|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Eryrys are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Eryrys - on wikipedia
Eryrys - on the Welsh Icons site
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date