"A township in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (SW by W) from Wrexham. ..... This place takes the adjunct to its name from its situation with reference to that great work of the Saxons, called Offa's Dyke, which separates it from the township of Esclusham Below, and which is here in a tolerably perfect state. The township comprises a tract of elevated ground in the south-western part of the parish, and there are considerable coal mines within its limits."
"A parish in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (SW) from Wrexham."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Esclusham was formed in 1879, by an Order in Council, from the townships of Erddig, Esclusham Below, and a portion of Esclusham Above. (where Above and Below refer to Offa's Dyke).