"A township in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (SW by W) from Wrexham. ..... This place takes the adjunct to its name from its situation with reference to that great work of the Saxons, called Offa's Dyke, which separates it from the township of Esclusham Below, and which is here in a tolerably perfect state. The township comprises a tract of elevated ground in the south-western part of the parish, and there are considerable coal mines within its limits."
"A parish in the parish and Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (SW) from Wrexham."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Esclusham was formed in 1879, by an Order in Council, from the townships of Erddig, Esclusham Below, and a portion of Esclusham Above. (where Above and Below refer to Offa's Dyke).
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Esclusham :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Tabernacle||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||400|
|Not named||Primitive Methodists (English language)||35|
|1879 - 1952||1880 - 1971||1879 - 1952|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Esclusham are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Esclusham - on wikipedia
Esclusham Mountain - on wikipedia
Esclusham Community Council site
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date