"A township in the parish of Gresford, Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh; 2½ miles (NNW) from Wrexham; on the road to Mold, containing 834 inhabitants. This township, which is sometimes regarded as divided into Lower and Upper Gwersyllt, is pleasantly situated on elevated ground, commanding in some parts a fine view of the Vale Royal of Cheshire. Here are coal mines in active operation, also two mills for the drawing of wire. ..... Wat's Dyke, an ancient boundary between England and Wales, is distinctly visible in this township." [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The new parish of Gwersyllt was formed by an Order in Council in November 1851, from parts of the townships of Gwersyllt (formerly in Gresford), and Stansty (formerly in Wrexham).