GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents

 

Henllan

"A parish in the Union of St. Asaph, hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 2 miles (NW) from Denbigh, containing 2703 inhabitants. This parish, which is fifteen miles in length, and in some parts more than seven in breadth, though averaging about four, extends from St. Asaph, on the north-east, to the source of the river Alwen, near Llanrwst, on the south-west. ..... The scenery is finely diversified, and from some of the higher grounds are obtained extensive and delightful views of the surrounding country, which is in many places characterised by features of great interest and beauty."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

Henllan is one of the "ancient parishes" of Denbighshire, originally comprising the townships of Banister Isaf, Banister Uchaf, Brynysgub, Erifiat, Gwenynog Llan, Lleweni Isaf, Lleweni Uchaf, Rhanfawr, Rhanhir (or Twysog), Taldrach, Tre'rparc, and Uwchcaerau (or Uwchcaeron).
By an Order in Council, on 21 July 1855, more than half of the parish went to the new parishes of Trefnant and Bylchau. At a later date, a further part of the parish was lost to the parish of Denbigh.

 

Bibliography

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Henllan St Sadwrn Church

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 022682.

"The Church, dedicated to St. Sadwrn, was taken down and rebuilt on an enlarged scale, in 1806: the new edifice, which is a neat plain structure, occupies the site of the ancient church, and is situated on a fine level; but the tower, a massive square pile, presenting each of its angles towards one of the cardinal points, and which was always detached, stands on the summit of a rock adjoining the road, and at a considerable distance to the east of the church."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The church was again repaired in 1844, and "restored" in 1878, being re-opened on 31 January 1879.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Henllan were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Denbigh. Details will be found on the parish page for Denbigh.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1684 - 1983 1684 - 1961 1684 - 1939
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1684 - 1812 1684 - 1812 1684 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1668 - 1849 1668 - 1849

I.G.I.

Baptisms Marriages
1818 - 1849 1818 - 1837
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Henllan was assigned to the No. 3 ("Denbigh") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District; which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Henllan are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Henllan Herald - community site

Henllan - on wikipedia

Henllan photographs - on geograph.org.uk

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church

Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348.   Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county

Return to top of page

Population

Return to top of page

Statistics

Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI