"A parish in the Union of Wrexham, hundred of Bromfield, county of Denbigh, comprising the borough of Holt, and the parochial chapelry of Isycoed, in which latter are the townships of Cacca Dutton, Dutton y Brān, Dutton Difieth, Ridley, and Sutton. ..... The borough of Holt is 29 miles (ESE) from Denbigh, 21 miles (E by S) from Ruthin, and 191 miles (NW) from London. This parish ..... is supposed to have contained, under the Roman dominion in Britain, an outpost to the station Deva (Chester); and the fortress erected here, according to some antiquaries, was called from that circumstance, Castra Legionis, or "the castle of the legion", preserved in its synonymous Welsh name of Castell Lleon, which was probably, by mistaking Lleon for the plural of Llew, changed into "the castle of Lions", or "Lyons", which it continued to bear for ages. ..... Though anciently a place of some note, the borough at present constitutes only an inconsiderable village, situated on the road from Wrexham to Nantwich, on an eminence rising gently from a spacious vale, and on the western bank of the Dee, in the navigable part of its course, and immediately above the point where this river is joined from the west by the powerful stream of the Alyn"
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
Although it was a technically a chapelry of the parish of Gresford, which was (and still is) in the diocese of St. Asaph, Holt was in the diocese of Chester until 1849, when it was transferred to St. Asaph.
It formerly contained the townships of Caca Dutton, Dutton Diffaeth, Dutton y Brain, Hewlington, Holt, Ridley and Sutton; but in 1829, Caca Dutton, Dutton Diffaeth, Dutton y Brain, Ridley and Sutton went to the new parish of Isycoed.
"The restoration of the church (1871 - 1873) involved a great deal of change, and cost about £4000. As in most cases of this kind, it is difficult, after so long an interval, to learn the details of what was then done. But cart-loads of dead bodies were taken out of the church, and re-interred, the floor levelled, and the chancel re-arranged. Many of the memorial slabs also disappeared."
[ The Town of Holt in County Denbigh, 1910, Alfred Neobard Palmer]
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Holt :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Not named||Baptists (English language)||60|
|Not named||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||350|
|Glanypwll||Calvinistic Methodists (English language)||105|
|Bethesda||Methodist New Connexion (English language)||30|
|Commonwood (Iron Chapel)||Primitive Methodists (English language)||50|
|1661 - 1966||1661 - 1971||1662 - 1924|
|1661 - 1812||1661 - 1837||1661 - 1812|
|Microfilmed copies of BT's|
|1600 - 1849|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1850 - 1869||1850 - 1869|
|1850 - 1869 (89% extraction)||None|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Holt are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Holt - on wikipedia
Holt Castle - on Castle Wales
Holt Bridge - on Wrexham.gov.uk
Holt photographs - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date