Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr
"A parish in the Union of Llanfyllin; Cynlleth and Mochnant division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 10 miles (W) from Oswestry, containing 164 inhabitants. This parish comprises an uneven but chiefly elevated tract near the southernmost extremity of the county. ..... The church, dedicated to St. Germanus, was formerly a chapel of ease to the mother church of Llanrhaiadr, only a mile and a half distant."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
In early times, Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr was part of the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant. The parish is not divided into townships.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 135279.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Garmon, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. It was restored in 1886.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Garmon's Church - on the Mathrafal Deanery site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
Parish Registers Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr was traditionally regarded as a chapelry of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, and until 1720 the baptisms, marriages and burials were recorded in the registers of that church. They have since been kept separately.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire, Flintshire and Powys Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1695 - 1987
||1699 - 1923
||1695 - 1989
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1681 - 1812
||1683 - 1812
||1681 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1672 - 1850
||1672 - 1850
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Garmon's, Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr was assigned to the No. 3 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Llanfyllin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanfyllin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Llanfyllin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Llanfyllin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ136279 (Lat/Lon: 52.841635, -3.284213), Llanarmon Mynydd Mawr which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 164.
- In 1901- the population was 112.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 2218 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]