"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, partly in the hundred of Maelor, county of Flint, but chiefly in that of Yale, county of Denbigh; 4½ miles (E by S) from Ruthin, containing 1475 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the river Alyn. ..... Throughout the vale in which the village is situated, and on every neighbouring eminence, are numerous tumuli, of which several have been opened at various times, and found to contain sepulchral urns filled with ashes, with human bones, which had resisted the action of the fire, scattered about them in profusion."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the township of Bodidris (in Flintshire), and the Denbighshire townships of Bodigre yr Iarll, Bodigre yr Abbot, Chwileriog, Gelligynan, Creigiog Uwch Glan, Creigiog Isglan, Alltgymbyd, Trellan, Banhadlen, Cyfnant, Gwaunyffynnon, and Erryrys; with a total area of 11,651 acres.
However, portions of Erryrys, Cyfnant and Gwaunyffynnon went to the newly created parish of Eryrys in 1861.
By an Order in Council, gazetted on 11 March 1887, part of the parish of Llanarmon yn Iāl was transferred to the parish of Llandegla. Archdeacon Thomas defines the area transferred thus :
"That portion of Llanarmon lying south of a line drawn from Pont Ystyllod through Rhos Isa and Perthichwareu, and taking in also a portion of Bodidris township (including the Hall)and the Gwernoliaid, as far as Llyn Maelor."
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanarmon-Yn-Iāl. St GarmonOrdnance Survey reference SJ 191562.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Garmon - on the Medieval Wales site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanarmon yn Iāl :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Rhiw Iāl||Calvinistic Methodists||200|
|1683 - 1943||1676 - 1969||1677 - 1937|
|1683 - 1812||1767 - 1812||1683 - 1812|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1666 - 1851||1667 - 1836|
|1730 - 1836 (88% extraction)||None|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanarmon yn Iāl are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llanarmon yn Ial - community site
Llanarmon yn Ial - on wikipedia
Llanarmon yn Ial - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date