We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanbedr Dyffrin Clwyd
"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (NE) from Ruthin, on the road to Chester, containing 527 inhabitants. This parish is about three miles in length, and two in breadth: its surface is partly hilly and partly flat."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the four townships of Llwynedd, Treganol, Trerhiwiau, and Trebod Elgar.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 144594.
The old church, which was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, was demolished in 1862; and a new church, a few hundred yards away, was opened in 1863. The dedication is to St. Peter.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Llwynedd ||Calvinistic Methodists ||76 |
|Hirwaen ||Wesleyans ||80 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1650 - 1894 ||1683 - 1968 ||1650 - 1888 |
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1605 - 1812 ||1654 - 1812 ||1632 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1676 - 1860 ||1813 - 1860 |
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|Baptisms ||Marriages |
|1813 - 1860 (96% extraction) ||1813 - 1836 |
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd was assigned to the No. 2 ("Ruthin") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Description and Travel
Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd - on wikipedia
Llanbedr Dyffryn Clwyd - on the CPAT site
You can see pictures of Llanbedr Dyffrin Clwyd which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanbedr Dyffrin Clwyd has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ145593 (Lat/Lon: 53.123975, -3.279164), Llanbedr Dyffrin Clwyd which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 527.
- In 1901- the population was 285.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 2900 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]