Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union of Llanrwst, hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; lying near the eastern bank of the river Conway, 1½ mile (N by E) from Llanrwst, containing 287 inhabitants. ..... The church, dedicated to St. Dogvan, is a large edifice."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
This is a very small parish, made up of one township, Esgrogeunen.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Doged Church, Llanddoget Ordnance Survey reference SH 806637.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Doged, Saint and martyr, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. The old church was demolished in 1838, and a new building was erected at a cost of £490.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanddoget :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
Parish Registers Parts of the neighbouring parishes of Eglwysbach and Llanrwst come very close to the parish church of Llanddoget; and many of the entries in the parish registers refer to residents of those parishes.
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1600 - 1933
||1600 - 1967
||1602 - 1990
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1600 - 1812
||1600 - 1837
||1601 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1637 - 1856
||1637 - 1856
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|1768 - 1850 (93% extraction)
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanddoget was assigned to the No. 1 ("Llanrwst") sub-district of the Llanrwst Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanrwst poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanddoget are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Llanrwst XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Llanrwst 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanddoget/Llanddoged which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanddoget/Llanddoged has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH806637 (Lat/Lon: 53.156990, -3.787171), Llanddoget/Llanddoged which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 287.
- In 1901- the population was 226.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 758 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]