Until 1878, Llanddulas consisted of the two townships of Tre'r Llan and Tre'r Cefn, containing 606 acres. In 1878, by an Order in Council, 636 acres were taken from the parish of Abergele and added to the parish of Llanddulas.
- Ellis, Bryn. A brief history of Llanddulas and Llysfaen quarries Part 1.
Abergele Field Club and Historical Society Review 17 (1998), p. 3-10
- Hughes, Edward.
A short history of the parish of Llanddulas (Denbighshire) with special reference to St Cynbryd's church Colwyn Bay : Leigh and Williams Ltd, 1939.
- Jones, Brian and Margaret Rawcliffe.
Llanddulas : illustrations by Kim Harley; cartography by R. G. Cross. Denbigh : Gee and Son, 1985.
Ordnance Survey reference SH 908782.
The church was founded by St. Cynfryd; and was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254.
The list of Rectors dates from 1284.
The early church building was ruined by a great storm in 1732; when a new building was erected. By 1868, this was itself "in a ruinous state", and was demolished.
The foundation stone of the present church was laid on 2 July 1868, and the Bishop of St. Asaph consecrated the church on Monday, 24 May 1869.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the
Civilparish of Llanddulas :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are
not available elsewhere.
|1761 - 1947
||1755 - 1971
||1761 - 1941
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1665 - 1812
||1665 - 1812
||1665 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1665 - 1839
||1682 - 1839
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Cynfryd, Llanddulas.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanddulas was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanddulas are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: St. Asaph XXVII.
- Years 1851 - 1930: St. Asaph 11b.
(GRO index references have no relevance at the
local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llanddulas Hidden History
Llanddulas - on wikipedia
Llanddulas - on geograph.org.uk
Pictorial History of Llanddulas Quarries
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links
to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
- In 1831- the population was 307.
- In 1901- the population was 788.
Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 606 acres until 1878, in which year 635 acres were added from the parish of Abergele.
The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks