Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for LLANDRILLO-YN-RHOS

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

LLANDRILLO-YN-RHOS

In 1868, the parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos contained the following places:

"LLANDRILLO-YN-RHOS, a parish partly in the hundred of Creuddyn, county Carnarvon, and partly in that of Isdulas, county Denbigh, 3 miles N.E. of Conway, its post town, and 8 W. of Abergele. The Colwyn station on the Chester and Holyhead line of railway is about 2 miles S.E. of the village. It is situated on the northern coast, near Little Orme's Head, and W. of Abergele Bay. The parish includes 7 townships, of which Colwyn and Eirias are the principal. The inhabitants are mostly engaged in the fisheries. During the summer months steamers from Liverpool, and occasionally from Carnarvon and Beaumaris, call at the landing-stage of Llandudno. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £343, in the patronage of the bishop. There is also the district church of St. Catherine, Colwyn, a perpetual curacy, value £170, in the gift of the vicar. The church, dedicated to St. Trillo, has a tower, remarkable for having double-stepped battlements. It contains some stained-glass windows, and an ancient Norman font. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The parochial charities produce about £14 per annum. Here are the remains of an ancient seat of the Conways. About half a mile distant from the village is Capel Trillo, a rude little building, asserted by tradition to be earlier than the Norman Conquest, but, according to the Rev. H. L. Jones, not older than the 16th century."

"CILGWYN, a township in the parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, hundred of Isdulas, in the county of Denbigh, 4 miles N.W. of Conway. It is situated near the sea-coast."

"COLWYN, a township and chapelry in the parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, in the county of Denbigh, 5 miles W. of Abergele. The living is a curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value£170, in the patronage of the vicar. The church is dedicated to St. Catherine."

"DINERTH, a township in the parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, in the county of Denbigh, 4 miles N.E. of Conway. It is situated on the coast near Little Orme's Head."

"LLWYDCOED, a township in the parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, county Denbigh, 4 miles N.E. of Conway."

"MOCHDRE, a township in the parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, county Denbigh, 3 miles N.E. of Conway."

"RHIW, (or Rhiw-yn-rhos), a hamlet in the parish of Llandrillo-yn-Rhos, hundred of Isdulas, county Denbigh, 4 miles N.E. of Conway, and 7 N.W. of Abergele. It is situated near the coast, under Little Orme's Head.

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2018