"A parish in the Union of Conway, partly in the hundred of Creuddyn, county of Carnarvon, but chiefly in the hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh, on the shore of the Irish sea, 5 miles (NE) from Aberconway, containing 1133 inhabitants. The village of Llandrillo is composed of three houses only. ..... There are four weirs along the shore, where an immense quantity of fish of various kinds is taken dring the season, particularly mackerel and salmon. ..... A considerable quantity of limestone is shipped hence to Liverpool."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Llandrillo yn Rhos lies in the extreme north-west corner of Denbighshire. It originally contained the townships of Eirias, Colwyn, Rhiw, Cilgwyn, Llwyd Coed, Mochdre, and Dinerth (also spelled Dinarth). It was bounded on the east by Llysfaen parish, on the west by Llangwstenin and Eglwysrhos parishes (in Caernarfonshire), and on the north by the sea. Until 1924, the parish of Llysfaen and the adjacent township of Eirias formed a detached portion of Caernarfonshire, within Denbighshire. There was also a detached portion of Eirias township in the extreme north-west corner of the parish.
The main settlements were the villages of Colwyn (now known as Old Colwyn) and Mochdre, in the townships of those names. Practically all of the township of Rhiw belonged to the Pwllychrochan estate; and, following the sale of the estate in 1865, it formed the nucleus of the present town of Colwyn Bay. Similarly, a large part of the township of Dinerth, belonging to the Bostock estate, formed the nucleus of the town of Rhos on Sea.
With the growth of the holiday trade during the Victorian period, and the increasing population, new churches were built; and eventually the parish was divided. The parish of Colwyn was formed in 1844, Colwyn Bay in 1893, and Brynymaen in 1900. Most of the township of Cilgwyn was transferred to the parish of Llanelian.
The present ecclesiastical parish is therefore very much reduced in size.
The modern town is also known as Rhos-on-Sea.
The Ancient Church of Llandrillo yn Rhos - on the Wales Directory site
Church of St Trillo - on CPAT
St. George's, in the centre of the new town (SH 839801), was opened in 1913, as a chapel of ease to the parish church.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Llandrillo yn Rhos were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"under the Civilparish of Colwyn Bay. Details will be found on the parish page for Colwyn Bay.
|1693 - 1859||1693 - 1921||1693 - 1910|
|1663 - 1837||1665 - 1837||1663 - 1837|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1663 - 1838||1702 - 1838|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llandrillo yn Rhos are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Rhos on Sea - on wikipedia
Rhos on Sea - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 4 July 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date