We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the hundred and Union of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 3 miles (E by S) from Denbigh, containing 708 inhabitants. This parish is beautifully situated in the fertile and picturesque Vale of Clwyd, and in the earlier periods of Welsh history must have been a place of some importance."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Bachgern, Bancar, Boderwog, Cae'r Fedwen, Cwmdylluan, Tre'r Llan, Llanerch Deuddwr, Rhiwbebyll, Speddyd and Ystrad.
- Llandyrnog & Llangwyfan : Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Llandyrnog = Llandyrnog & Llangwyfan : a view of the past / Llandyrnog Local History Society. [Llandyrnog] : Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Llandyrnog, 2006.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 108651.
The church was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. The present building, which is dedicated to St. Tyrnog, is believed to date from the fifteenth century. It was restored in 1877, and re-opened on 5 March 1878.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llandyrnog :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Not named ||Baptists ||63 |
|Dyffryn ||Calvinistic Methodists ||206 |
|Not named ||Wesleyans ||45 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1664 - 1866 ||1664 - 1970 ||1664 - 1969 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1676 - 1856 ||1676 - 1856 |
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|Baptisms (94% extraction) ||Marriages |
|1813 - 1845 |
18?? - 1856
|1813 - 1837 |
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llandyrnog was assigned to the No. 6 ("Llandyrnog") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llandyrnog are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llandyrnog which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llandyrnog has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ108650 (Lat/Lon: 53.174592, -3.336029), Llandyrnog which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 708.
- In 1901- the population was 560.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 3370 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]