"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 5½ miles (S) from Ruthin, on the road to Corwen, containing 962 inhabitants. It is situated in the upper part of the Vale of Clwyd, where the mountains assume a bolder and more rugged character than in the lower section of that valley. The parishes of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd and Clocaenog bound it on the north, Derwen parish on the west, and Bryneglwys on the south. The scenery from the heights is very fine, the Clwydian hills being in the distance on the one side, and those of Merionethshire on the other, with some intervening plantations, principally of oak. There are some quarries of limestone. The river Clwyd, whose source is about three miles distant, separates the parish from Clocaenog; and there are several other streams, celebrated for trout of very superior flavour."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Llanelidan comprised the townships of Nantclwyd, Llan, Bryncyme, Bodlywydd, and Garthneuoedd.