Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd
"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 2 miles (S) from Ruthin, on the road to Wrexham and Llangollen; containing 1254 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the banks of the river Clwyd, at the upper extremity of the spacious vale to which that stream gives its name; and abounds with interesting and beautifully varied scenery. ..... The substratum of the parish is limestone, of which great quantities are procured for building, and also for burning into lime: the quarries and limekilns afford employment to a considerable portion of the population."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd comprised the townships of Eyarth, Garthgynan, Derwen-Llanerch, and Faenol.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanfair St Cynfarch and St Mary Church Ordnance Survey reference SJ 134555.
The church, which was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254, was founded by St. Cynfarch, and is dedicated to that Saint and St. Mary. It was restored in 1872, being re-opened on 8 August 1872.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Cynfarch and St Mary - on CPAT
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Seion ||Baptists ||46 |
|Cricor ||Calvinistic Methodists ||76 |
|Graig Adwy Wynt ||Calvinistic Methodists ||81 |
|Pentrecelyn ||Calvinistic Methodists ||158 |
|Salem ||Calvinistic Methodists ||74 |
|Graigfechan ||Congregationalists ||68 |
|Graigfechan ||Wesleyans ||100 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1680 - 1979 ||1691 - 1971 ||1680 - 1962 |
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1680 - 1812 ||1691 - 1812 ||1680 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1683 - 1864 ||1813 - 1864 |
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for Ss. Cynfarch and Mary, Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd was assigned to the No. 3 ("Llanelidan") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII.nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b.nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ135554 (Lat/Lon: 53.088765, -3.293052), Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 1238.
- In 1901- the population was 909.
[Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 8528 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]