GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents


Llanfair Talhaearn

"A parish in the Union of St. Asaph, partly in the hundred of Isaled, and partly in that of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 7 miles (S by W) from Abergele; containing 1414 inhabitants. ..... This parish, which lies on the road from Llangernyw to Abergele, is bounded on the north by the parish of Betws yn Rhos, on the south by that of Llansannan, on the east by the parishes of Abergele and Llannefydd, and on the west by that of Llangernyw. ..... The village is delightfully situated in a deep glen, along which flows the small river Elwy, to its junction with the Aled, one mile lower."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish was extensive, comprising the twelve townships of Barog, Bodrychwyn, Bont, Cynnant, Ciliau, Cornwal, Dolganner, Garthewin, Melai, Petrual, Prysllygoed, and Talhaearn, and covering approximately 20,000 acres.



Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SH 927701.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. The present building is believed to date from about 1600, but was extensively repaired and restored in 1839 and 1876.
A daughter church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was opened at Pont-y-Gwyddel in 1882, and was closed in 1982.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civil parish of Llanfair Talhaearn :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Salem Baptists 193
Soar Baptists 50
Garnedd Calvinistic Methodists 104
Soar Calvinistic Methodists 132
Tabor Calvinistic Methodists 184
Not named Wesleyans 60
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

1669 - 1854 1671 - 1961 1669 - 1868

1652 - 1812 1671 - 1812 1667 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1668 - 1852 1668 - 1851


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfair Talhaearn was assigned to the No. 2 ("Abergele") sub-district of the St. Asaph Registration District, which was co-extensive with the St. Asaph poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfair Talhaearn are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Llanfair Talhaearn - on wikipedia

Llanfair Talhaearn photographs - on

Llanfair Talhaearn - on Wales Directory


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.