Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr
"A parish in the Union of Corwen, partly in the hundred of Edeyrnion, county of Merioneth, and partly in that of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 10 miles (NW by W) from Corwen; containing 428 inhabitants. ..... The village, consisting of only four houses, is situated on the small river Alwen, a rapid stream issuing from Llyn Alwen, in the mountains, about five miles north-west of the village, and forming, for the greater part of its course, the north-eastern boundary of the parish. ..... There are some excellent meadows on the banks of the Alwen, affording pasturage to some herds of black cattle peculiar to this part of the principality, which are kept chiefly for the dairy; and the mountain lands, covered with fine heath, are depastured by numerous flocks of sheep of the small Welsh breed."
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish comprises the township of Cefn Post (in Merionethshire); and the townships of Maes yr Odyn, Llysan, and Cysilog (or Llysyllog) in Denbighshire.
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr (part of), hundred of Isaled, in the County of Denbigh, containing 3717.822 acres. London : Printed by E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode, 1876.
- Brush, Sally. William Hughes, rector of Llanfihangel-Glyn-Myfyr, 1729-1753
Hel achau, No. 50 (Nov. 1996), p. 18-19.
- Smith, J.A. and R.G. Livens. Excavations at Caer Caradog, Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr, Clwyd, 1963-64
Archaeologia Cambrensis, Vol. 140 (1991), p. 77-101
Ordnance Survey reference SH 989495.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Michael, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254. It was partly rebuilt in 1853; and was "sympathetically" restored in 1901 / 1902.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Michael - on CPAT
Church and chapel data from
The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,
1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
- In MER Area 3538 acres; Population 44 males, 40 females, total 84
- In DEN Area 664 acres; Population 193 males, 211 females, total 404
- Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr Parish Church Attendance - morning 28, afternoon 13 "The attendance, owing to the very mountainous nature of this part of Wales, the paucity of Inhabitants, the distance from Church, the Prevelance of Dissent, varies according to the season of the year and the weather, ranging from 25 to 50" Services in Welsh William Lewis, Minister
- Gro Chapel, Calvinistic Methodist Erected c 1814 Attendance - morning 50, afternoon 115 scholars, evening 87 Robert Jones, Elder, Bryncras, Bettws, nr Corwen
- Llanfihangel Chapel, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1816, rebuilt 1837 Attendance - morning 57, afternoon 79 scholars, evening 176 Hugh Thomas, Deacon, Pen y Bont, Llanfihangel
"Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the
Civil parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are
not available elsewhere.
|1662 - 1991
||1663 - 1960
||1662 - 1991
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1662 - 1812
||1663 - 1812
||1662 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1663 - 1843
||1663 - 1843
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Michael's, Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr was assigned to the No. 1 ("Gwyddelwern") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Corwen XXVII.
- Years 1851 - 1930: Corwen 11b.
(GRO index references have no relevance at the
local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr - on Vision of Britain
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links
to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
- In 1831- the population was 452.
- In 1901- the population was 370.
Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish "which was subject to tithes" as 3759 acres.
The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Last Updated 12 Sept 2011- Gareth Hicks