GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents



"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, mile (W) from Ruthin. ..... This parish, of which the hamlet of Street extends into and forms part of the borough of Ruthin, is bounded on the north by the parish of Llanynys, on the south by the parishes of Efenechtyd and Llanfair Dyffryn Clwyd, on the east by Llanrhydd and Ruthin, from which it is separated by the river Clwyd, and on the west by the parish of Clocaenog. The scenery is rich and beautiful, embracing a great variety of surface, numerous little streams tributary to the river Clwyd, well cultivated fields, tracts ornamented with oak, ash, sycamore, elm and larch, and several superior mansions, with views from the higher grounds in every direction of the most picturesque kind."
[A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish of Llanfwrog comprised the townships of Street, Bodyngharad Ucha, Bodyngharad Isa, Cilygroeslwyd, and Penycoed.



Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 114578.
The church was founded in the seventh century by St. Mwrog. It was rebuilt during the Norman period, and re-dedicated to St. Mary. Having fallen into decay, it was extensively restored in 1869 / 1870, being re-opened on 24 June 1870. The tower was restored in 1906.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Nonconformist Churches Nonconformist places of worship for Llanfwrog were included in the "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905" under the Civil administrative district of Ruthin Borough. Details will be found on the parish page for Ruthin.

Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1638 - 1936 1638 - 1945 1638 - 1934

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1638 - 1812 1638 - 1837 1638 - 1812

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1676 - 1860 1813 - 1860


Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llanfwrog was assigned to the No. 2 ("Ruthin") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanfwrog are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Llanfwrog - on Vision of Britain


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.