Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union of Llanfyllin, in the Cynlleth and Mochnant divisions of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 9 miles (W by N) from Oswestry, containing 205 inhabitants. This place was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, but was separated from it by Act of Parliament, and formed into a parish of itself. The village is situated in a small valley surrounded by barren mountains of dreary aspect, and is not distinguished by any peculiar features."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Tre'r Llan, Tregeiriog, and Nantyr. These two latter townships were entirely detached, lying north of the river Ceiriog, and surrrounded by the parishes of Llansilin, Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog.
- Jones, Morfudd. Hanes Eglwys Sant Cadwaladr, Llangadwaladr [Llangadwaladr] : Eglwys Sant Cadwaladr, 
- White, Richard B. The Llangadwaladr glass Denbigh : printed by Gee & Son, 1972.
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 182303.
The church, which is dedicated to Cadwaladr Fendigaid, king and martyr, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291 as "Bettws Kadwaladr", a chapelry of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant.
The church was restored in 1840 and 1883.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Church of St Cadwaladr - on CPAT
St Cadwaladr's Church - on the Mathrafal Deanery site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llangadwaladr :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire, Flintshire and Powys Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1736 - 1995
||1739 - 1967
||1736 - 1947
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1736 - 1813
||1739 - 1813
||1736 - 1813
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1666 - 1854
||1666 - 1854
- The following have been incorporated into the I.G.I., as part of an "official extraction" programme.
They were extracted from the Bishop's Transcripts, not from the Parish Registers.
|1814 - 1854
||1813 - 1838
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llangadwaladr was assigned to the No. 3 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Llanfyllin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanfyllin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llangadwaladr are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Llanfyllin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Llanfyllin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llangadwaladr which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llangadwaladr has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ182303 (Lat/Lon: 52.863924, -3.216538), Llangadwaladr which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 205.
- In 1901- the population was 386.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 6167 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]