GENUKI Home page Denbighshire county page Denbighshire Contents Contents



"A parish in the Union of Llanfyllin, in the Cynlleth and Mochnant divisions of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 9 miles (W by N) from Oswestry, containing 205 inhabitants. This place was formerly a chapelry in the parish of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant, but was separated from it by Act of Parliament, and formed into a parish of itself. The village is situated in a small valley surrounded by barren mountains of dreary aspect, and is not distinguished by any peculiar features."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]

The ancient parish comprised the townships of Tre'r Llan, Tregeiriog, and Nantyr. These two latter townships were entirely detached, lying north of the river Ceiriog, and surrrounded by the parishes of Llansilin, Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog and Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiriog.



Church History

Ordnance Survey reference SJ 182303.
The church, which is dedicated to Cadwaladr Fendigaid, king and martyr, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291 as "Bettws Kadwaladr", a chapelry of Llanrhaeadr ym Mochnant.
The church was restored in 1840 and 1883.

The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.

Church of St Cadwaladr - on CPAT

St Cadwaladr's Church - on the Mathrafal Deanery site

Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llangadwaladr :

Name of Chapel Denomination Number of "adherents"
Tregeiriog Calvinistic Methodists 135
Gwynfa Wesleyans 44
Return to top of page

Church Records

Parish Registers

Baptisms Marriages Burials
1736 - 1995 1739 - 1967 1736 - 1947
Baptisms Marriages Burials
1736 - 1813 1739 - 1813 1736 - 1813

Bishop's Transcripts

Deposited at the National Library of Wales Microfilmed copies
1666 - 1854 1666 - 1854


Baptisms Marriages
1814 - 1854 1813 - 1838
Return to top of page

Civil Registration

When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llangadwaladr was assigned to the No. 3 ("Llanrhaeadr") sub-district of the Llanfyllin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Llanfyllin poor law Union.

In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llangadwaladr are in the format :

(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)

Return to top of page

Description and Travel

Llangadwaladr - on wikipedia


View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries


Return to top of page


Return to top of page

Info Find help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Last Updated  9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.