Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union of Corwen, hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh, 6 miles (W) from Corwen, containing 1011 inhabitants. ..... This parish, which is of great extent, is situated in a dreary moorland district, near the extremity of the county, bordering on Merionethshire. ..... The female inhabitants are principally employed in the spinning of woollen yarn; the males are occupied in attendance upon their herds and flocks, great numbers of which are purchased by the English drovers, and fattened for the London market."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish comprises the townships of Llan (or Tre'rllan), Moelfre, Penyfed, Rhosymaenbrych, Disgarth, Llys Dinmael, Cefn Cymer and Ystradelog (or Nanthalog).
- Atkinson, Marian. John Jones of Cerrigydrudion and Llangwm Hel achau, No. 82 (October 2004), p. 14-15
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llangwm (hundred of Isaled), in the county of Denbigh, containing 10076.509 acres. London : Printed by George E. Eyre and William Spottiswoode, 1876.
Ordnance Survey reference SH 967446.
There are references to a church on the site about 1210 to 1215. The church was rebuilt in 1747, and was restored in 1873 / 1874.
It was closed some years ago, and services for the parish are now conducted in the former Chapel of Ease at Dinmael
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llangwm :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Cefn ||Calvinistic Methodists ||110 |
|Dinmael ||Calvinistic Methodists ||230 |
|Gellioedd ||Congregationalists ||132 |
|Groes ||Congregationalists ||91 |
|Ty Nant ||Wesleyans ||67 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1738 - 1977 ||1738 - 1965 ||1738 - 1974 |
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1738 - 1812 ||1738 - 1812 ||1738 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1665 - 1841 ||1669 - 1841 |
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for the Parish church of Llangwm.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llangwm was assigned to the No. 1 ("Gwyddelwern") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llangwm are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Corwen XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Corwen 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llangwm which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llangwm has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH966446 (Lat/Lon: 52.988707, -3.541838), Llangwm which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 1011.
- In 1901- the population was 777.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 15,000 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]