Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 5 miles (E) from Denbigh, containing 264 inhabitants. ..... The surrounding scenery is beautifully picturesque, and the views from the higher grounds over the fertile and extensive Vale of Clwyd are rich and magnificent. The surface is finely undulated, and the lands, with the exception of the mountainous part of the parish, are enclosed and in a good state of cultivation."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish of Llangwyfan is quite small, and is almost entirely surrounded by the parish of Llandyrnog.
It contains the townships of Cefnygwrdy, Gales, Llan, and Coediog (or Ceidio, or Ceidiog).
- Llandyrnog & Llangwyfan : Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Llandyrnog = Llandyrnog & Llangwyfan : a view of the past / Llandyrnog Local History Society. [Llandyrnog] : Cymdeithas Hanes Lleol Llandyrnog, 2006.
- Owen, Buddug. Llangwyfan magic, Volume 1, "Lest we forget" Buddug Owen, c2008. The history of Llangwyfan hospital, which served as a TB Sanatorium. Includes a selective bibliography and many black and white photographs. Also vol 2 published in c2009
- Owen, Buddug. Llangwyfan nostalgia Denbigh and its past, No. 20 (2005), p. 56-61
- Owen, Buddug. Llangwyfan Buddug Owen, c2007
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 120663.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Cwyfan, was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation of 1254.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civilparish of Llangwyfan :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1723 - 1991
||1729 - 1968
||1728 - 1992
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1676 - 1812
||1683 - 1837
||1676 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1676 - 1856
||1757 - 1856
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Cwyfan's, Llangwyfan.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llangwyfan was assigned to the No. 6 ("Llandyrnog") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llangwyfan are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llangwyfan which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ121661 (Lat/Lon: 53.184694, -3.316888), Llangwyfan which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 264.
- In 1901- the population was 143.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 1073 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]