Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union and hundred of Ruthin, county of Denbigh, 4 miles (N by E) from Ruthin, containing 503 inhabitants. This parish ..... is situated in the rich and fertile Vale of Clwyd, and is sheltered by the fine range of mountains which bounds it on the east. ..... The highest, called Moel Vamma (sic), is surmounted by a column erected to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the accession of George III: on the side towards the county of Flint it exhibits a remarkable volcanic appearance."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish of Llangynhafal comprised the townships of Trerhos, Treglas, Trehendre'rwydd, and Trenantynef.
- Francis-Jones, E. and J. Phillips. Llangynhafal area Proceedings of the Dyserth and district field club, (2002), p. 81-83
- Peate, Iorwerth C. Hendre'r-ywydd Uchaf, Llangynhafal, Denbighshire Caerdydd : Amgueddfa Werin Cymru, 1967.
- Pierce, Iona and E.G. Fowler. Llangynhafal 1983.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St. Cynhafal Ordnance Survey reference SJ 133634.
Th church was founded in the seventh century by St. Cynhafal. It was extensively repaired and restored during the Victorian period.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist place of worship in the Civilparish of Llangynhafal :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|1704 - 1938
||1704 - 1936
||1704 - 1940
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1676 - 1812
||1677 - 1812
||1676 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1676 - 1873
||1813 - 1873
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Cynhafal, Llangynhafal.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llangynhafal was assigned to the No. 6 ("Llandyrnog") sub-district of the Ruthin Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Ruthin poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llangynhafal are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Ruthin XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Ruthin 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llangynhafal which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ130635 (Lat/Lon: 53.161477, -3.302715), Llangynhafal which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 503.
- In 1901- the population was 356.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas states that "the parish is of great extent - it stretches to the top of Moel Fammau."
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]