"A parish in the Union of Ruthin, partly within the limits of the borough of Denbigh, and partly in the hundred of Isaled, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (SE) from Denbigh, containing 2066 inhabitants. This very extensive parish is fourteen miles in length, and on an average three miles in breadth: it abounds with limestone, of which there are several quarries in various parts, great quantities being procured to be burnt for manure in several kilns here, and for building."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised the townships of Cader, Meifod, Segroit Ucha, Segroit Isa, Cliccedig, Prion, Llanllech and Llwyn, Trefydd Bychain, and Llewesog; with a total area of 16,308 acres.
During the nineteenth century, more than half the area of the ancient parish was transferred to the parishes of Prion (6000 acres), Nantglyn (2007 acres), Cyffylliog (1800 acres), and Denbigh (300 acres); so that by 1913, the area of the parish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch had been reduced to 6200 acres.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Dyfnog LlanrhaeadrOrdnance Survey reference SJ 082634.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Dyfnog's church
Vicarage phptograph - on geograph.org.uk
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|1683 - 1908||1683 - 1971||1683 - 1863|
|1676 - 1812||1676 - 1812||1676 - 1812|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1676 - 1863||1813 - 1863|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llanrhaeadr yng Nghinmeirch - on wikipedia
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date