Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy
"A parish in the Union of Conway, hundred of Isdulas, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (SE by E) from Aberconway, containing 1306 inhabitants. This parish is situated in the pleasant vale of Conway: the village stands on the eastern bank of the river, on the road from Aberconway to Llanrwst, within five miles of the Irish Sea."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
According to Archdeacon Thomas, St. Bridget (Ffraid) is traditionally supposed to have sailed from Ireland on a green turf, and landed on the bank of the River Conwy, about a quarter of a mile west of the present church.
The parish comprises the townships of Trellan, Trebwll, Tre Trallwyn, Tre Deunant and Pen y Rhos.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llansantffraid Glan Conwy Bryn Ebeneser (Calvinistic Methodists) Ordnance Survey reference SH 804761.
The church was rebuilt in 1839, and restored in 1908.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy :
|Name of Chapel
||Number of "adherents"
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
The Parish Registers for the years 1729 - 1740 were destroyed in a fire at the Rectory in 1740. Unfortunately, the Bishop's Transcripts do not fully cover the missing years.
|1660 - 1730
1741 - 1913
|1695 - 1729
1741 - 1970
|1662 - 1729
1741 - 1993
- Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|1660 - 1812
||1662 - 1812
||1662 - 1812
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales
|1662 - 1840
||1662 - 1840
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Ffraid, Llansanffraid Glan Conwy.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy was assigned to the No. 2 ("Creuddyn") sub-district of the Conwy Registration District; which was co-extensive with the Conwy poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llansanffraid Glan Conwy are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Conway XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Conway 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH803761 (Lat/Lon: 53.268331, -3.796310), Llansanffraid Glan Conwy which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 1306.
- In 1901- the population was 977.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]
- Archdeacon Thomas gives the area of the parish as 5021 acres.
[ The History of the Diocese of St. Asaph , 1908-1913, Ven. D.R. Thomas]