"A parish in the Union of Corwen, hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh; 3 miles (SSW) from Llangollen, containing 543 inhabitants. This parish is situated on the river Ceiriog; the village occupies a low and very retired situation, entirely encompassed by lofty mountains. It contains slate of excellent quality and in abundance, in procuring which some extensive quarries are now being worked with much profit to the proprietors. ..... The manufacture of flannel is carried on to a considerable extent; and on the stream of the Ceiriog are two fulling mills, to which extensive bleaching-grounds are attached."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish was at one time a Chapelry of Llangollen. It comprises the townships of Llafar Ucha, Llafar Isa, Nantir Ucha and Nantir Isa.