"A parish in the Union of Oswestry, principally in the Cynlleth division of the hundred of Chirk, county of Denbigh, extending also into the English county of Salop, in which it comprises the township of Sychdin. ..... This parish, which is eight miles in length, and averages about seven miles in breadth, is finely situated on the river Cynlleth; the lands are enclosed and in a high state of cultivation, and the soil is fertile and productive: the surrounding scenery is richly varied, and the views over the adjacent country abound with interest and variety."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The ancient parish comprised townships of Bodlith, Llan, Lledrod, Lloran, Llys Dynwallawn (also known as Estyn Allan), Moelfre, Priddbwll, Rhiwlas Isfoel, Rhiwlas Uwchfoel, Sycharth and Sychtyn. (Sychtyn is in Shropshire).
In 1844, portions of Lledrod were assigned to Rhydycroesau (which is in Shropshire).
In 1877, parts of Sycharth and Priddbwll were assigned to Llangedwyn.
During the late Victorian period, parts of Moelfre and Lloran were assigned to Llangadwaladr.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
St Silin's Church - on the Mathrafal Deanery site
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llansilin :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Cefn Canol||Calvinistic Methodists||140|
|1668 - 1992||1668 - 1967||1668 - 1932|
|1666 - 1812||1666 - 1812||1666 - 1812|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1666 - 1846||1666 - 1846|
|1813 - 1846||1813 - 1837|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llansilin are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llansilin - on wikipedia
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date