Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"A parish in the Union of Corwen, hundred of Yale, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (NW by W) from Llangollen, containing 842 inhabitants. ..... It is pleasantly situated on the river Dee, which forms its southern boundary, and is skirted on the north by the small river Merenion; on the west it is bounded by the parish of Corwen; and on the east by a small river running through the Vale of Crucis. The surface is boldy undulated, and in some parts mountainous; the soil, though various, is in general fertile, and the surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, and in many parts beautifully picturesque. A chain of mountains of romantic appearance and rich in mineral wealth runs through the centre of the parish, which is also intersected by the turnpike road leading from Llangollen to Ruthin."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish contains the townships of Coedrwg, Maesyrychen (or Llanegwestl), Llandynnan, Cymodeuparth, and Cymotraean.
- Book of reference to the plan of the Parish of Llantysilio (Hundred of Yale) in the county of Denbigh : Major-General Sir Henry James, Director-General of the Ordnance Survey. London : Eyre & Spottiswoode for H.M.S.O., 1875.
- Coulter, Stan. Early village life in Yr Heol - The Rhewl - Llantysilio [Corwen] : Corwen Printing & Stationery, 1986.
- Llantysilio Church Gwernymynydd : Clwyd Family History Society, 2000.
- The Spirit of Llangollen & Llantysilio : Llangollen Museum = Naws Llangollen & Llantysilio : y ganrif a hanner ddiwethaf mewn llun / Amgueddfa Llangollen. Asbourne : Landmark, 2003 - and part 2 in 2006
- Ychydig o hanes bywyd a marwolaeth Elizabeth Jones, merch y Parch. Edward Jones, Llantysilio : Llanidloes : Cyhoeddwyd ac ar werth gan Edward Jones, [18--?]
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
- St Tysilio, Llantysilio
- Bethesda, CM, Pentredwr
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 194435.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Tysilio, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. It was rebuilt in 1869.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llantysilio :
|Name of Chapel ||Denomination ||Number of "adherents" |
|Bwlch, Tai Newyddion ||Calvinistic Methodists ||63 |
|Llanddynan ||Calvinistic Methodists ||110 |
|Pentredwr ||Calvinistic Methodists ||100 |
|Pentredwr ||Wesleyans ||109 |
|Rhewl ||Wesleyans ||80 |
- The following Parish Registers have been deposited at the Denbighshire Record Office, Ruthin.
They may be viewed on microfilm at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
These microfilms are not available elsewhere.
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1677 - 1992 ||1677 - 1970 ||1678 - 1969 |
Clwyd FHS has published full transcriptions of the registers (complete with indexes) for the following years :
|Baptisms ||Marriages ||Burials |
|1671 - 1812 ||1671 - 1812 ||1671 - 1812 |
- Bishop's Transcripts for the years shown below have been deposited in the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Around the year 1951, most of the Bishop's Transcripts which had been deposited at that time were microfilmed by the LDS; and the films are available on request at Family History Centres of the LDS.
The films may also be viewed at the Denbighshire and Flintshire Record Offices, and at the National Library of Wales.
In general, the Bishop's Transcripts are less complete than the parish registers.
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales ||Microfilmed copies |
|1671 - 1836 ||1675 - 1836 |
- There are no official I.G.I. entries for St. Tysilio, Llantysilio.
When Civil Registration was introduced (on 1 July 1837), the parish of Llantysilio was assigned to the No. 2 ("Corwen") sub-district of the Corwen Registration District
; which was co-extensive with the Corwen poor law Union.
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llantysilio are in the format :
- Years 1837 - 1851: Corwen XXVII. nnn
- Years 1851 - 1930: Corwen 11b. nnn
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
You can see pictures of Llantysilio which are provided by:
View maps covering the area of this parish
and places within its boundaries
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ192436 (Lat/Lon: 52.983609, -3.205002), Llantysilio which are provided by:
- In 1831- the population was 842.
- In 1901- the population was 847.
[ Royal Commission on the Welsh Church - October 1907]