"A parish in the Union of Corwen, hundred of Yale, county of Denbigh; 2 miles (NW by W) from Llangollen, containing 842 inhabitants. ..... It is pleasantly situated on the river Dee, which forms its southern boundary, and is skirted on the north by the small river Merenion; on the west it is bounded by the parish of Corwen; and on the east by a small river running through the Vale of Crucis. The surface is boldy undulated, and in some parts mountainous; the soil, though various, is in general fertile, and the surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, and in many parts beautifully picturesque. A chain of mountains of romantic appearance and rich in mineral wealth runs through the centre of the parish, which is also intersected by the turnpike road leading from Llangollen to Ruthin."
[ A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1833 & 1849, Samuel Lewis]
The parish contains the townships of Coedrwg, Maesyrychen (or Llanegwestl), Llandynnan, Cymodeuparth, and Cymotraean.
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of ;
Ordnance Survey reference SJ 194435.
The church, which is dedicated to St. Tysilio, was mentioned in the Lincoln Taxation of 1291. It was rebuilt in 1869.
The Clwyd FHS website has a photograph of the church.
Nonconformist Churches "Welsh Church Commission - County of Denbigh - The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905"lists the following nonconformist places of worship in the Civilparish of Llantysilio :
|Name of Chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Bwlch, Tai Newyddion||Calvinistic Methodists||63|
|1677 - 1992||1677 - 1970||1678 - 1969|
|1671 - 1812||1671 - 1812||1671 - 1812|
|Deposited at the National Library of Wales||Microfilmed copies|
|1671 - 1836||1675 - 1836|
In the GRO indexes to civil registration, entries for Llantysilio are in the format :
(GRO index references have no relevance at the local Superintendent Registrar's Office)
Llantyslio - on wikipedia
Llantysilio Community Council
Moel y Gaer Hillfort, Llantysilio
Llantysilio photographs - on geograph.org.uk
On Clwyd FHS's site there is a diagram showing parish names/positions with links to pages for the parish church
Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R., Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. Colchester, Essex: History Data Service, UK Data Archive [distributor], 17 May 2001. SN: 4348. Here is a gazetteer/finding aid plus a set of overview maps to accurately identify the position of parishes within the county
Last Updated 9 Jan 2013 - Gareth Hicks
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date